Duckling Death?

Astirya

Chirping
Apr 20, 2019
North Texas
One of my ducklings died earlier today, i'm torn up inside about it, but I need to put that aside to make sure the other three stay healthy.

the symptoms started with lethargy and some minor sneezing, I thought maybe it was because the water dish wasn't deep enough so I added a new dish that was deep enough they could submerge their heads.

then, the duckling started sleeping away from the other ducklings and I was worried that maybe some bullying was going on that was keeping it from eating. (it was the smallest of the group, afterall)

i separated it to watch and see if it was eating and drinking, and the food and water did seem to be disturbed, but the duckling only got weaker.

Then i found it on it's back, and rigor mortis had set in.

so i want to supplement my other ducklings with more vitamins, does anyone have any suggestions of brands/ things to look out for while purchasing supplements?

My duckling died the same way. It could be botulism poisoning. How often do you clean out their brooder? How old was the duck? How old were the others? Where did you buy it at? What feed did you feed them? Did you notice any bald patches on the head or was there cuts on the feet?

You should look not just for plain niacin but a Vitamin B complex or brewers yeast.
:hugs I’m sorry for your loss.

they're all about a week old, the oldest a little older (a week and two days)

as for food i'm using "Dumor Chick starter/grower 20%"
Alright, so around the same age as the others correct? Did you incubate or buy? If you incubated, were the parents sick or acting a bit off?

I use to use that same one and it worked fine. It’s in a yellow bag with a chicken on it right?

My duckling died the same way. It could be botulism poisoning. How often do you clean out their brooder? How old was the duck? How old were the others? Where did you buy it at? What feed did you feed them? Did you notice any bald patches on the head or was there cuts on the feet?

You should look not just for plain niacin but a Vitamin B complex or brewers yeast.
:hugs I’m sorry for your loss.

i clean out their brooder once a day and the food and water twice a day, all of the ducklings were a week old and two of them are my own rescue hatchlings.

the one that died was a hatchling that i got from tractor supply co. (which i'm learning was a bad idea, but there isn't anywhere else that was selling ducklings at the right age) it's been with us since Tuesday

i'm using Dumor chick starter/grower

One of my ducklings died earlier today, i'm torn up inside about it, but I need to put that aside to make sure the other three stay healthy.

the symptoms started with lethargy and some minor sneezing, I thought maybe it was because the water dish wasn't deep enough so I added a new dish that was deep enough they could submerge their heads.

then, the duckling started sleeping away from the other ducklings and I was worried that maybe some bullying was going on that was keeping it from eating. (it was the smallest of the group, afterall)

i separated it to watch and see if it was eating and drinking, and the food and water did seem to be disturbed, but the duckling only got weaker.

Then i found it on it's back, and rigor mortis had set in.

so i want to supplement my other ducklings with more vitamins, does anyone have any suggestions of brands/ things to look out for while purchasing supplements?
So sorry to your duckling died. Dang.

i clean out their brooder once a day and the food and water twice a day, all of the ducklings were a week old and two of them are my own rescue hatchlings.

the one that died was a hatchling that i got from tractor supply co. (which i'm learning was a bad idea, but there isn't anywhere else that was selling ducklings at the right age) it's been with us since Tuesday

i'm using Dumor chick starter/grower

Is the chick feed medicated?

Alright, so around the same age as the others correct? Did you incubate or buy? If you incubated, were the parents sick or acting a bit off?

I use to use that same one and it worked fine. It’s in a yellow bag with a chicken on it right?

yep, that's the one.

Two of them were my own rescue incubations. The one that passed and one other were bought from tractor supply co. as companions just incase anything happened to either of the first two (i've heard raising them alone can cause psychological problems)

Back
Top Bottom