Duckling deaths - odd

Verge134

Songster
Mar 4, 2018
New England
So I got my first pair of snowy mallards with my chickens back in the end of February. They were 3 days old when I got them. All seemed fine but on day 6 late at night I found a duckling dead...

I felt so bad for the lonely one we went to TSC and had to get SIX MORE... just 2 days ago my spouse found one of the ducklings dead... and now I just found another. Different breeds...

Should I be medicating them all now that I've lost some?

None of the others are sick. No blood, no worms, all these ducklings just looked tired and small.

My original mallard is now on his 3rd week and the 4 remaining khakis are entering week 2.

So I got my first pair of snowy mallards with my chickens back in the end of February. They were 3 days old when I got them. All seemed fine but on day 6 late at night I found a duckling dead...

I felt so bad for the lonely one we went to TSC and had to get SIX MORE... just 2 days ago my spouse found one of the ducklings dead... and now I just found another. Different breeds...

Should I be medicating them all now that I've lost some?

None of the others are sick. No blood, no worms, all these ducklings just looked tired and small.

My original mallard is now on his 3rd week and the 4 remaining khakis are entering week 2.

Do the ducklings have access to a heat lamp or pad? Are they in the house or outside? If they are outside and dying overnight, they may be dying from cold.

You might consider adding supplemental nutrition. Nutridrench is great for perking them up, it does not have to be digested and goes straight to the bloodstream. Just put a drop or two in each duckling's beak.

I would advise AGAINST medication if there are no symptoms of disease. Never give ducks medicated chicken feed, they eat much more than chickens and can overdose and die!

Welcome to BYC and so sorry for your losses. May I suggest that google the name of your state and "veterinary diagnostic lab", then contact them and ask about having a necropsy done? That way if it's something contagious you'll know if you should medicate the others.

Do the ducklings have access to a heat lamp or pad? Are they in the house or outside? If they are outside and dying overnight, they may be dying from cold.

You might consider adding supplemental nutrition. Nutridrench is great for perking them up, it does not have to be digested and goes straight to the bloodstream. Just put a drop or two in each duckling's beak.

I would advise AGAINST medication if there are no symptoms of disease. Never give ducks medicated chicken feed, they eat much more than chickens and can overdose and die!

I have them in the house with a headlamp in my built basement brooder. I have the woodstove down there as well, supplemental heat incase we lose power. The others look fit

Welcome to BYC and so sorry for your losses. May I suggest that google the name of your state and "veterinary diagnostic lab", then contact them and ask about having a necropsy done? That way if it's something contagious you'll know if you should medicate the others.

Honestly I don't wasn't to spend money like that... I have found that breeders won't sell under 1 week olds because some are not strong enough from the start.

This is a good idea if available, but I don't know how long it takes to get results. Hopefully before you lose any more.

Honestly I don't wasn't to spend money like that... I have found that breeders won't sell under 1 week olds because some are not strong enough from the start.
I have gotten 5 ducklings all between 3-5 days old and have never lost one, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Back
Top Bottom