Duckling extravaganza *Runner, Saxony, Magpie, and Silver Appleyard*

Wobbles

Chirping
Jun 30, 2015
Wisconsin
Since I'm about to be over run with ducklings I figured it was time to start my own baby post.

Hopefully by tomorrow morning our six new babies will be here! We have 3 males and 3 females coming. 2 blue magpies, 2 saxony, and 2 Silver Appleyards. We were pretty torn up about having to sell the drakes so the OH's dad kindly offered to build a drake sanctuary at his house (he just lives 10 minutes away from us). So we will raise them and then they will go live with "grandpa". Hopefully the drakes will get along with no females or we may just have to get some extra girls to live there too. I actually wanted to change our duckling order, eliminate the magpies and add Emery penciled runners but we got the call that they shipped before I could. Oh well, I'll love the magpies as much as my runners regardless. I will just have to try to convince the other half that we NEED one more...just one LOL.

We also have our two fawn and white runner ducklings, Cinder and Ember. Gender unknown but hope at least one is a girl. Photos of them up until now below.

Cinder is darker, Ember lighter

Photos from Friday

Last edited:
Yay! Can't wait to see your new babies!!
pop.gif

Well no babies so far today. They sent them to a town four hours in the wrong direction, meaning they passed our location and are now back tracking. Nobody can tell us why or exactly where they are right now. They shipped on monday. I am rather worried now.

Oh what a relief. Babies are located and we are out the door to get them in a few minutes. They are at the wrong post office, we now have to drive 45 minutes. But oh well.

Babies are home!

What a day...as I mentioned they went to the wrong post office first of all. Not only that but we get there and their gel had been spilled all over the box. The magpie babies are a bit weak. So we stopped at TSC and grabbed a bowl, nutri-drench and food and then fed them in the parking lot. They seem to be perking up. The others look great.

We decided not to send the boys to the OH's dads. We are going to keep the SA drake but find homes for the magpie boy and the Saxony boy. I feel like that is the best thing to do, they can go have girls on a farm rather than just sending to boys to live with Rick.

Just some quick snaps until they get warmed up and settled in. You can see the gro-gel spilled all over the box. Poor babies.

We are very happy with the hatchery but not so pleased with the usps.

Last edited:
Babies are home!

What a day...as I mentioned they went to the wrong post office first of all. Not only that but we get there and their gel had been spilled all over the box. The magpie babies are a bit weak. So we stopped at TSC and grabbed a bowl, nutri-drench and food and then fed them in the parking lot. They seem to be perking up. The others look great.

We decided not to send the boys to the OH's dads. We are going to keep the SA drake but find homes for the magpie boy and the Saxony boy. I feel like that is the best thing to do, they can go have girls on a farm rather than just sending to boys to live with Rick.

Just some quick snaps until they get warmed up and settled in. You can see the gro-gel spilled all over the box. Poor babies.

We are very happy with the hatchery but not so pleased with the usps.

Adorable! But wow I can't believe they spilled the growgel. It looks like the cup is fastened to the side of the box (same as Metzer does) and growgel is fairly thick. That box had to be on its side for a couple of minutes or it fell off a stack or something - poor darlings. I am so glad your babies made it unharmed in spite of the P.O.

Adorable! But wow I can't believe they spilled the growgel. It looks like the cup is fastened to the side of the box (same as Metzer does) and growgel is fairly thick. That box had to be on its side for a couple of minutes or it fell off a stack or something - poor darlings. I am so glad your babies made it unharmed in spite of the P.O.
That is what I thought too, how careless they had to of been for that stuff to spill like it did. I mean, I could see if it was just a little spilled but they had 2 cups both attached to the side and both basically empty. I don't think the two magpie babies would of been alive had they sent them on to Montello like they were supposed to do. It would of been tomorrow morning by the time we got them. I'm just glad they are OK.

YAY!! They're finally home.
woot.gif

Precious little 'lings!
love.gif
Oh they are so adorable. I'll have to do a video later. The Saxony babies are hilarious, Nova was jumping on and over Shane's hands and having the best time doing it haha!

Well they all seem happy and healthy now, no more tired looking eyes or droopyness. I think the nutri-drench saved the magpie babies.

Now time for proper introductions!

Meet:

Asher the Silver Appleyard drake

Nova the Saxony female

The magpie drake (no name since we are not keeping him..if I name him I'll get way too attached)

Gypsy the female Silver Appleyard

The adorably chubby Saxony drake who I really wish i could keep lol

Cricket the female magpie

Back
Top Bottom