1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling Feather Loss

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Robbo, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    My 10 day old Ancona duckling has missing fuzz on her right side of her head all the way down her neck. It started yesterday and today is worse. Almost completely naked to the skin. The other duckling hasn't been seen picking at her or anything. She can't reach to pick there and she honestly hasn't been itching that much but has been.

What could it be?

Just normal baby action or are we looking at an itchy bug?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Never saw this before unless brooder mates were having a chew on the down. May have to set up the game camera and see if the other duckling is chewing when no one is looking. Can you give them something to do, like place some chopped lettuce in their brooder/along with grit, or something else yummy to chew on. how about a stuffed animal with out any tags or eyes that can get chewed off and swallowed. a bird safe mirror. A bored duckling is one that chews on it's fellow brooder.

3. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    Being bored never dawned on me but it makes sense. We handle them daily and more than once. When we do both of them LOVE to chew and rip at our clothing like crazy (my other ducks never did this). She most likely is getting eaten by her sister at night time or when we are out of the house. I do keep some grit and goodies in there but I will have to add some bigger stuff like lettuce or a mirror / hanging toys.

Thanks!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let us know if this helps!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by