Duckling Feed Question??

Do they still need the yeast added in?
Here is a fantastic link to nutritional information to achieve the BEST from your birds according to research...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=21841743

Niacin is usually too low in chick starter for ducklings who need to have 55mg/kg of feed. You can call ANY feed manufacturer and get a better analysis than what is offered on the sewn in tags. Most give general information like protein and calcium % but do not include all pertinent facts. I contacted Purina and that's how I know about the niacin level in their Flock Raiser.

If you chosen feed does not contain 55mg/kg of niacin then continue to supplement. If it does than I don't think it will harm them, but personally don't supplement what I don't need.

I think scratch is crap and dumbs down ALL nutrients except calories, not just protein. :confused: Plus I don't think a couple % more protein is harmful and I DON'T believe 20% protein is enough to cause angel wing. I certainly never saw it here or any other deficiency.... yet.

I actually needed to add nutritional yeast for my last batch of ducklings even while feeding Purina Flock Raiser. The Saxony ducklings in the bunch were laying down a lot and had trouble walking. Added the yeast (and access to extra calcium) and they improved. I think it might have been because they are a larger, faster growing breed. There can also sometimes be one duckling that needs more then the recommended value. I had one of those in my very first batch. A little extra yeast was all she needed.

Nutrena all flock actually has more niacin than purina flock raiser, but flock raiser is in crumble form and Nutrena is in pellet. FR is also 20% protein and Nutrena is 18%.
I think they are both good foods though.

Back
Top Bottom