Duckling hatched - then dried to incubator. STUCK!

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
We locked down our duckling eggs 48 hrs ago. Had a duckling hatch this morning around 8AM ( 11 hrs ago) It got its foot stuck in the plastic grate of the incubator, so after watching her for about 8 hours and seeing that she couldnt free herself, I quickly opened the incubator just enough to get my hand in and free it. Humidity dipped to 71%, then back to 75%. But she still didnt move around much. She would thrash, and try, so finally I stuck my hand in again, when humidity was around 75%, and tried to move her slightly, and she is GLUED to the plastic mesh floor. (Like the fluid that was covering her, baked on, instead of drying. Temp is between 99.2 and 100'.) I have added water with a syringe to the area that is stuck, but she still isn't able to free herself. I don't have a water spray bottle on hand, and the water that I have already added has raised the humidity to 87%. HELP!

We locked down our duckling eggs 48 hrs ago. Had a duckling hatch this morning around 8AM ( 11 hrs ago) It got its foot stuck in the plastic grate of the incubator, so after watching her for about 8 hours and seeing that she couldnt free herself, I quickly opened the incubator just enough to get my hand in and free it. Humidity dipped to 71%, then back to 75%. But she still didnt move around much. She would thrash, and try, so finally I stuck my hand in again, when humidity was around 75%, and tried to move her slightly, and she is GLUED to the plastic mesh floor. (Like the fluid that was covering her, baked on, instead of drying. Temp is between 99.2 and 100'.) I have added water with a syringe to the area that is stuck, but she still isn't able to free herself. I don't have a water spray bottle on hand, and the water that I have already added has raised the humidity to 87%. HELP!
It's okay to open the incubator. Just open the incubator and with a wet paper towel try to free the baby, then shut the incubator back up. It'll be ok.

It's okay to open the incubator. Just open the incubator and with a wet paper towel try to free the baby, then shut the incubator back up. It'll be..
I just did it, and cleared the window so I could see better while I was in there, and the duckling appears to be COVERED in poop. She is dried hard. She is the only one that has hatched - one other egg has externally pipped. (20 hrs ago) Should I do anything else?? What is the best way to clean her off? She is unable to move due to the baked on slime coating.

I just did it, and cleared the window so I could see better while I was in there, and the duckling appears to be COVERED in poop. She is dried hard. She is the only one that has hatched - one other egg has externally pipped. (20 hrs ago) Should I do anything else?? What is the best way to clean her off? She is unable to move due to the baked on slime coating.
Warm water soak and you can make sure it's dry, maybe with a blow dryer and then under a heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom