Duckling heavier breathing?

SteelebrookAcres

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2022
Hello all, new duck mom here. I have 4 Khaki Cambell ducklings who are 2 weeks old. 3 of them have always been very energetic, but my darker colored one has always seemed more "chill". Eats, drinks, and poops fine but when we have bath time it doesn't swim as much as the others and swims only a little and then just hangs out. Over the last few days I noticed his/her breathing was a tad heavier than the others when laying down. Doesn't seem to be uncomfortable at all, and it seems normal for this duck, but I can't help but to wonder if there is a heart defect or something that it may have been hatched with. Does anyone else have experience with this? I am trying to attach a video to this post as an example but am having trouble, will try to add below if I can..

Last edited:
He just seems to be sleeping deeply in the video -- his breathing is deep and slow. It would be more likely to be shallow and rapid if he were in heart failure. I can't explain why he is sleeping when the others aren't and why he doesn't swim as much. But don't worry -- it won't do him any good! Assume he is just on the not so active end of the normal spectrum of behavior, while he is happy healthy eating and doing normal ducky behavior

He just seems to be sleeping deeply in the video -- his breathing is deep and slow. It would be more likely to be shallow and rapid if he were in heart failure. I can't explain why he is sleeping when the others aren't and why he doesn't swim as much. But don't worry -- it won't do him any good! Assume he is just on the not so active end of the normal spectrum of behavior, while he is happy healthy eating and doing normal ducky behavior
Enjoy them while you have them is my motto with all these little creatures

Back
Top Bottom