Pekin breathing heavily through her nares

Maple24

Hatching
Apr 7, 2024
I have two, sweet Perkins that are 6 weeks old. For roughly four days the two (out of six) have been breathing heavily through there nares. They are still active and eating but their breathing is loud… like a stuffy nose.
Their nares look clear and I’ve tried warm baths but nothing seems to be helping. I do not have a local vet that is versed with waterfowl so I am trying to treat from home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have two, sweet Perkins that are 6 weeks old. For roughly four days the two (out of six) have been breathing heavily through there nares. They are still active and eating but their breathing is loud… like a stuffy nose.
Their nares look clear and I’ve tried warm baths but nothing seems to be helping. I do not have a local vet that is versed with waterfowl so I am trying to treat from home. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Do they have water deep enough to wash their nares out? Do you still have them under heat?
@Maple24

Last edited:
Yes, they have water deep enough… I’ve been trying warm baths too…..Their heat lamp is mostly off unless I’ve let them swim in the tub. The room they are in is never under 60 degrees. Should I turn the heat lamp back on? I’ve also started using vet RX…. I put some on their beaks and in their water.

At 6 weeks they don't need heat. Pekins are notorious for over heating panting is what we usually see. Try the Vet RX and leave the lamp off and see if you can tell a difference.
:welcome

Last edited:
I’ve left the heat lamps off and will continue the RX…… it seems as though all six of my Pekins are breathing heavy now. Could this be from over feeding?
I am also cleaning their brooder twice a day and providing fresh, clean water multiple times a day. The water is deep enough for them to dunk past their snares.
Thank you so much for the feedback so far!

They are 6 weeks old and still in a brooder in your home? What is the temps inside and how big is your brooder? Pekins do love to eat do you think they are overeating? are you feeding them more than just their feed? And at 6 weeks they do not need food and water overnight. Usually, once we move them outside to their coop we don't put feed and water inside becasue they make such a mess with it.

They are 6 weeks old and still in a brooder in your home? What is the temps inside and how big is your brooder? Pekins do love to eat do you think they are overeating? are you feeding them more than just their feed? And at 6 weeks they do not need food and water overnight. Usually, once we move them outside to their coop we don't put feed and water inside becasue they make such a mess with it.
I purchased them from Tractor Supply on March 6th so I’m guessing they are 4 weeks old… my apologizes for the miscalculation. They are still in a brooder…. It is a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank.

Okay so if they are almost feathered in you need to start taking them outside some to get them used to the temps if your temps are 60 and above and not raining. Start them off by taking them out for maybe 15 minutes and gradually add to it. They need the exercise for one thing Pekins don't have the strongest legs so getting some exercise will be good for them. Just never leave them alone always supervise. Have you been adding Nutritional yeast or some form of niacin to their feed Do you give them tub time in warm water that can help to build their leg strength also Since you got them? Some bedding is pretty dusty too what are you using?
I am trying to help you figure out why they are breathing heavily . I did go back and read where you have been letting the swim in the tub that is good.
@CoriM has had Pekin maybe she can reply about the heavy breathing. Your not seeing any type of discharge coming from nares or eyes?

Last edited:
I purchased them from Tractor Supply on March 6th so I’m guessing they are 4 weeks old… my apologizes for the miscalculation. They are still in a brooder…. It is a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank.
If you could post a video that would help...plz
Okay so if they are almost feathered in you need to start taking them outside some to get them used to the temps if your temps are 60 and above and not raining. Start them off by taking them out for maybe 15 minutes and gradually add to it. They need the exercise for one thing Pekins don't have the strongest legs so getting some exercise will be good for them. Just never leave them alone always supervise. Have you been adding Nutritional yeast or some form of niacin to their feed Do you give them tub time in warm water that can help to build their leg strength also Since you got them? Some bedding is pretty dusty too what are you using?
I am trying to help you figure out why they are breathing heavily . I did go back and read where you have been letting the swim in the tub that is good.
@CoriM has had Pekin maybe she can reply about the heavy breathing. You’re not seeing any type of discharge coming from nares or eyes?
I really appreciate your help. I live in New England and temps have been on the chilly side…. Today was the first warm day and I took them out and filled a kiddy pool for them to swim in. I started brewers yeast today. I just noticed one of the ducks is panting.
They are eating/drinking fine…. I’ve tried sharing a few videos but I am having difficulty sharing them.

Back
Top Bottom