Duckling help!!

MuckyDuckMomma

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2019
I have a sneaky suspicion that a new neighbor took my broody Indian Runner Duck. She was clearly the one easiest catch and they've had quite an interest in them but that's a separatet issue for the moment. There was clearly a sign of struggle throughout the pen and the house, her feathers everywhere, inside and outside of the main door, along their pond and headed right towards our main gate in the back yard... Not a stitch of blood anywhere and no body was found. Just her feathers. Her duckling was found stashed and hiding in the pen behind a bin that shelters their food and is safe as well as the other ducks in the flock. This was in the middle of the afternoon and my middle son was the only person home. Now the other ducks want nothing to do with the Momma Duck's duckling, Mumble. What do I do!? She was a good momma and now I feel like I should take over but not sure where to begin with the other ducks who don't want her! Help!

Thank you, I've always read and followed posts in here but never created an account. I appreciate the response Mumble is now 7 weeks old and was hatched by her Momma, Ginny. Ginny was broody for MONTHS and it's all she wanted to focus on day in and day out. Sadly, she's gone as of yesterday afternoon and I'm heartbroken for little Mumble. The others aren't interested in her at all. They run from Mumble and the Drake Runner, Webster, is not being very nice at all. He's actually pushing and biting in full defense of Mumble. The other female Runner is always with Webster so it's hard for her to take the baby under her wing... Our Khaki Campbell is sort of doing the same thing with running away from the duckling but I think she could potentially foster the baby. IDK what to do. I've allowed for time in the yard together in limited increments but always the same result. The duckling is separate now from the rest.

If you can separate part of your pen so Mumble has her own side that may help for now. Let them live side by side for a while until they accept Mumble as one of theirs. And if you have one of the other females that hasn't been mean to Mumble you can maybe try to let her be with Mumble. I'd go over to your neighbor and ask if the saw anything suspicious around yesterday afternoon maybe you'll get to hear of see your mama duck.

If you can separate part of your pen so Mumble has her own side that may help for now. Let them live side by side for a while until they accept Mumble as one of theirs. And if you have one of the other females that hasn't been mean to Mumble you can maybe try to let her be with Mumble. I'd go over to your neighbor and ask if the saw anything suspicious around yesterday afternoon maybe you'll get to hear of see your mama duck.
Thank you for your thoughts on our little Mumble, that's the direction I was heading in with the pen. Mumble and Momma were slightly separated from the others but Momma was clearly protective and kept Mumble safe so I merely monitored and allowed her to do her thing. Now I just don't want Mumble harmed or singled out and sad/lonely. As for the neighbors, ALL of them LOVE our Mucky Ducks and thoroughly enjoy visits with them. But these new ones(and closest) wash things outside, don't use their electricity and burn all their garbage outback... Not judging but they live like they are are camping and foraging themselves and have mentioned about their intrigue and thoughts with our ducks. Also stating that we were odd for caring so much and not eating them. So I think I may find a way to ask but not til they return from camping this weekend. They left right after this incident.

Not everyone knows the laws about taking what doesn’t belong to them if they have just moved here from another country. I’d def ask not in a way that is accusatory but being they live next door they may have seen something.

Not everyone knows the laws about taking what doesn’t belong to them if they have just moved here from another country. I’d def ask not in a way that is accusatory but being they live next door they may have seen something.
They are not anything but basic trash (okay, maybe I just gota little judgemental there) that rents from a friend who owns the home... What's mine is yours if you're in need but you ASK ME. You don't steal from me.

Back
Top Bottom