Duckling honking?

Honkers are females - they are very loud, lol. I had only ever had boys, and when one of my ducklings fell over the couch and "HONKED!" for the first time I nearly jumped out of my skin, lol. I couldn't tell which one it was in the video...definitely didn't look like it was the Swedish. Maybe that big Pekin that jumped into view near the end?

Mine are just under 3 weeks and I'm starting to hear small honking noises every now and then, so 2 weeks or so isn't impossible, but yeah, it's pretty early. Mine last year were around 4-5 weeks before I was sure. I think I read recently that someone else on here had honking at 2 weeks and 2 days.

Last edited:
Hello I have 9 runner ducklings at 3 weeks old some of them have started to make honking/squeaky noises but others just chitter ... Does that mean honking ones are female and others are male .. I'm a newbie

Hello I have 9 runner ducklings at 3 weeks old some of them have started to make honking/squeaky noises but others just chitter ... Does that mean honking ones are female and others are male .. I'm a newbie
The loud ones are female.
As they grow, the females will make the normal quack sound we think ducks make.
The males will make a utt, utt, utt sound.
But give them 3-5 more weeks to make sure. Things may change.

The loud ones are female.
As they grow, the females will make the normal quack sound we think ducks make.
The males will make a utt, utt, utt sound.
But give them 3-5 more weeks to make sure. Things may change.
The loud noise are like a squeak honk small quack sound and other it's a lot different. I need to find before I sell 6 on as I want 3 females to stay with mum n dad. They have grown so quick in 3 weeks
I'm not sure how to attach a video.

Back
Top Bottom