Duckling housing question :)

BlakeRyan

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
We are so excited to be picking up our duckling wednesday! This is a first time adventure for us. We are getting a few more in the spring, but starting off with only one right now. We are keeping him in the house with us until spring. I think we have decided on a rabbit cage with a tub type thing on the bottom to contain the mess and for easy clean up, and attaching cardboard around the sides as I have heard from other duck owners that they can be messy with their food and such, and it can of course fall out or be thrown out the sides of a cage like this. Hoping this plan works! :) come spring, we will build or purchase a coop and make them their outside home :)

The ONE you get now will have to wait until your spring ducklings are ready to go outside as well. A single duck outside by themselves is a very unhappy duck.
As a single duck, it is going to bond to you.
Depending on where you are when when "spring" is, that rabbit cage could be quickly too small for a growing duckling unless that's just for while you are sleeping. Have you determined what you will need to do in order to keep your single duck happy/content at being a single duck?

I'd suggest getting 2 now or waiting until spring to get the ones you want.

Our plan was to get 4, but only 1 out of 8 hatched. The rest died or didn't make it through delivery. The one will get lots of social interaction in our home, more so than if we put him in or garage alone for the winter months.

Back
Top Bottom