Duckling identification

Hi! The one with the stripe on its head that I believe you were asking about earlier is a silver appleyard. The others do look like blue and black swedishes. The one black that's getting brown feathers in is kind of odd though. Maybe that's just a juvenile thing, I've never owned that breed.
They're all so pretty!
The one with the stripe I named Dolly Parton. All the ducklings came to California from Tennessee, so it was most fitting to give them all country musician names 😂 Dolly is more observant than the rest and way more vocal for sure! The hatchery suspected that the black ducklings were Cayuga’s, but I’m questioning that.

My ducklings are about a month old now. Their feathers are coming in and they are beginning to quack. They run up to me when I come to their pen, cry for me when I walk away, crawl all over me, and eat from my hand 🥰 Here are some up to date pictures if anyone has an idea of the breeds!
May I ask what you did to encourage them so they are so friendly? I got 2 ducklings for the 1st time several weeks ago I have spent time with them since I got them but they still are not to keen on me I should say the white crested seems to enjoy being held and pet and relaxes when I pick him/her up but the blue Sweden is having none of it! She/he peeps a lot and does not seem to appreciate my presence do I just need to spend more time? any help is appreciated I am new to ducks!

Honestly, whenever I have time I put a towel down and sit in their pen or lay on the towel to get to their level. I also had brought them in the house and let them cruise around in a playpen while I did every day house chores so they could watch me from afar and know I’m not a threat. I started early on giving them mashed up peas and crushed up mealworms. Once they got a taste for those, every time I walked up they assumed I would give them some sort of treat. I pulled fresh kale from my garden and would let them tug pieces from my hands. They do run if I try to hold them, but once they are in my arms they nuzzle up to me and are completely calm. My blue Swedes scream when I initially pick them up, but I just talk to them and they stop instantly and become calm. For my adult drakes, I did the same thing with them and they follow me EVERYWHERE! If I go inside the house, they literally wait outside the door for me. You just gotta devote time to spend with them and entice them with treats. Now that my 5 week old ducklings are outside, I’ll sit in their pen with them still and both the babies and the adult drakes can check each other out. I think when the babies watch the boys follow me and see that they trust me, it helps them gain trust with me too. My drake pekin let’s me hug him, kiss him, and hold him. My mallard cross drake isn’t fond of getting loved on, but he never leaves my side. Sorry for the lengthy response!
I very much appreciate the lengthy reply!! I think I need to go into the pen with some foods as you mention being new to ducks I have been afraid to give them anything but their duck starter. I spend time with them everyday and my crested Dre seems to enjoy the pets and is warming up to me but the blue I defiantly need to work with more. They would like nothing more then to be left to float in their pool all day LOL I will get some treats and try that approach and continue to sit in the enclosure with them could you suggest some things that are safe to give them? I know you mentioned Kale and peas and meal worms are there other things that are ok? sorry for the questions as I said first time with ducks! I am trying to do really good for them, they are growing really well and seem happy so I am doing ok with that I think!

N

Peas are great for them because they contain a lot of niacin, which ducks need a lot of! The kale is a very healthy green with nutrients of all sorts. I limit the mealworms only because they are still young and growing and I don’t want them to have too much protein. In winter, corn is a good snack, but they gain weight from it. I have also made scrambled eggs with eggs from my chickens and they loved that too. I have pulled fresh lavender, rosemary, and basil from the garden and they nibble at it. I now have the babies trained to go inside their house about an hour before the sun goes down. I put dried oatmeal and water in a jar and made overnight oats. I took a scoop of it and put it in a bowl, threw in some peas, and added more water to make it liquidy. I let them have a taste and then I would pull it away from them and lead them to their house with it. I would then leave the bowl in the house and they hopped inside and gobbled it up. After a few days of leading them, I could just put the bowl in the house and they would run inside. Now they just go in on their own and wait for their oatmeal pea stew as I call it. I would lay down in their pen while I gave them the treats at first. We look massive to them so being at eye level makes them a little less frightened. Ducks are definitely won over through their stomachs!
Thank you! I wondered how to get them to use their house, they so far are not interested I should have known the key was their stomachs LOL we actually use oats to get our goats to go in at night they love them and for a small amount of oats they will go into their house! I have lavender and the other herbs in my garden and I will pick up some peas as the ones in our garden are not ready yet, I have plenty of eggs from my chickens and plenty of oats. Thank you so very much for all the tips I really appreciate it!!

Honestly, whenever I have time I put a towel down and sit in their pen or lay on the towel to get to their level. I also had brought them in the house and let them cruise around in a playpen while I did every day house chores so they could watch me from afar and know I’m not a threat. I started early on giving them mashed up peas and crushed up mealworms. Once they got a taste for those, every time I walked up they assumed I would give them some sort of treat. I pulled fresh kale from my garden and would let them tug pieces from my hands. They do run if I try to hold them, but once they are in my arms they nuzzle up to me and are completely calm. My blue Swedes scream when I initially pick them up, but I just talk to them and they stop instantly and become calm. For my adult drakes, I did the same thing with them and they follow me EVERYWHERE! If I go inside the house, they literally wait outside the door for me. You just gotta devote time to spend with them and entice them with treats. Now that my 5 week old ducklings are outside, I’ll sit in their pen with them still and both the babies and the adult drakes can check each other out. I think when the babies watch the boys follow me and see that they trust me, it helps them gain trust with me too. My drake pekin let’s me hug him, kiss him, and hold him. My mallard cross drake isn’t fond of getting loved on, but he never leaves my side. Sorry for the lengthy response!
I don't believe that is the norm. At least not with my Mallard/Pekin cross ducks-old & new. Long replies are more helpful than not. Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it works for you. The rest of us can just do what we can & see what happens. My last two took a year a show any attention to their feeder, (me)

I don't believe that is the norm. At least not with my Mallard/Pekin cross ducks-old & new. Long replies are more helpful than not. Keep doing what you're doing, sounds like it works for you. The rest of us can just do what we can & see what happens. My last two took a year a show any attention to their feeder, (me)
I appreciate all the help here I am new to ducks so being probably over cautious. Its nice to learn what I can give to them and some tips on helping them like me LOL

This is how I trained the babies to go into their house on their own every night to get locked up. Made some oatmeal, add peas or mealworms, and a little water to make it more soupy. I gave them nibble, they loved it and wanted more, but I would take the remaining and lead them inside their house. Eventually, they would see the dishes I used for the night time treat and they just run straight into the barn. My 2 adult drakes, chickens, and potbelly pig were all taught to go inside before sundown using this exact technique. Hopefully it helps someone who is struggling to get their flock inside at night!

I absolutely love your Ducks!!! I was so interested that they are supposed to be all Ducks and no Drakes. I am trying to sex my 6 week old Muscovy hen Mallard Drake babies. I had read that the longer heads meant boys. I noticed in some of the pictures yours have the longer head than others. I was surprised to see that and now have hopes that I don't have all males. Please keep us posted as to the sex of all of your ducklings. I can't put pictures on here so I am trying to figure it out on my own. My peepers that did not get their quacks all turned out to be Mallards in my Mallard babies. I have never had the mules or hinnies whichever they are called before and I hatched them out from my own ducks. Thanks for your pictures, they are helping me decide the sex of my own.

Thank you! I love all of them! But unfortunately, only the blue Swedish are girls… the other 4 are boys. When I received the extra 4, I asked the hatchery if they were girls also. They told me that if they didn’t have bands and I ordered girls, then they sent all girls. Turns out that wasn’t true and I have a feeling they pawned off some boy ducklings on me. One khaki had a different colored beak from the other two so that had me hopeful that it was a girl. The girls started quacking between 3-4 weeks old.
You are most welcome and thank you for letting me know what I thought I saw was right. My mixed ducks are quiet because Muscovy ducks usually are so I will have to wait and see. Hopefully I have at least one girl but feelings are they might all be boys. Drakes are so hard to get rid of and I do have a family that feeds their own with them but I hate to see them go that way. Thanks again for letting me know.

Back
Top Bottom