Duckling identification

I absolutely love your Ducks!!! I was so interested that they are supposed to be all Ducks and no Drakes. I am trying to sex my 6 week old Muscovy hen Mallard Drake babies. I had read that the longer heads meant boys. I noticed in some of the pictures yours have the longer head than others. I was surprised to see that and now have hopes that I don't have all males. Please keep us posted as to the sex of all of your ducklings. I can't put pictures on here so I am trying to figure it out on my own. My peepers that did not get their quacks all turned out to be Mallards in my Mallard babies. I have never had the mules or hinnies whichever they are called before and I hatched them out from my own ducks. Thanks for your pictures, they are helping me decide the sex of my own.
Thank you! I love all of them! But unfortunately, only the blue Swedish are girls… the other 4 are boys. When I received the extra 4, I asked the hatchery if they were girls also. They told me that if they didn’t have bands and I ordered girls, then they sent all girls. Turns out that wasn’t true and I have a feeling they pawned off some boy ducklings on me. One khaki had a different colored beak from the other two so that had me hopeful that it was a girl. The girls started quacking between 3-4 weeks old.

Yes you are right, the back claw is removed and does not grow back as to identify them as a domestic Mallard and not a wild one. They are quite a bit smaller and the hens are very chatty. I have both Mallards and Rouen Ducks and my Mallard/Rouen Drake will mate with anything in the pen that will have him. lol

Yes you are right, the back claw is removed and does not grow back as to identify them as a domestic Mallard and not a wild one. They are quite a bit smaller and the hens are very chatty. I have both Mallards and Rouen Ducks and my Mallard/Rouen Drake will mate with anything in the pen that will have him. lol
That was my understanding the removing was to identify domestic from wild. I figured that it wouldn't grow back, but wasn't certain, thank you for clearing that up!

Hello,

So I have an adult male Pekin and an adult male Rouen Hybrid (I think). They started getting aggressive with my chickens and are protective over me. I recently purchased 4 blue Swedish female ducklings from Metzer Farms. When I brought the chirping box home from the post office, it contained 8 ducklings. I emailed Metzer and they informed me that I had received 5 female blue Swedish and 3 female black Swedish ducklings and my order was duplicated by mistake. However, one of the “blue Swedish” ducklings looks more like a mallard or Rouen duckling. I’m hoping someone can help me identify the odd ball.

These ducklings have been a little skittish compared to my boys when they were this age, so I currently sit in a pen with them I set up in my house. They have a space heater and a heat lamp and room to explore while they eat and drink. The duckling I’m curious is the one to the right in the center cluster. Thanks!
Seems like they may be swedish blue like they said or possibly rouen and/or khaki campbell. hope this helps :)

Hello,

So I have an adult male Pekin and an adult male Rouen Hybrid (I think). They started getting aggressive with my chickens and are protective over me. I recently purchased 4 blue Swedish female ducklings from Metzer Farms. When I brought the chirping box home from the post office, it contained 8 ducklings. I emailed Metzer and they informed me that I had received 5 female blue Swedish and 3 female black Swedish ducklings and my order was duplicated by mistake. However, one of the “blue Swedish” ducklings looks more like a mallard or Rouen duckling. I’m hoping someone can help me identify the odd ball.

These ducklings have been a little skittish compared to my boys when they were this age, so I currently sit in a pen with them I set up in my house. They have a space heater and a heat lamp and room to explore while they eat and drink. The duckling I’m curious is the one to the right in the center cluster. Thanks!
My ducklings look like that & they are Mallard/Pekin cross from eggs I collected from a female Pekin & Mallard male. They are a strong breed. I'm surprised at how they fight to get out of the egg & survive that ordeal. They're stength is amazing!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom