Duckling identification

ShelbyCiave

Chirping
May 17, 2022
San Diego; CA
Hello,

So I have an adult male Pekin and an adult male Rouen Hybrid (I think). They started getting aggressive with my chickens and are protective over me. I recently purchased 4 blue Swedish female ducklings from Metzer Farms. When I brought the chirping box home from the post office, it contained 8 ducklings. I emailed Metzer and they informed me that I had received 5 female blue Swedish and 3 female black Swedish ducklings and my order was duplicated by mistake. However, one of the “blue Swedish” ducklings looks more like a mallard or Rouen duckling. I’m hoping someone can help me identify the odd ball.

These ducklings have been a little skittish compared to my boys when they were this age, so I currently sit in a pen with them I set up in my house. They have a space heater and a heat lamp and room to explore while they eat and drink. The duckling I’m curious is the one to the right in the center cluster. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 50
Hello, and welcome to the site! ♥️
Your new ducklings are so cute. Unfortunately I have no idea what your new little unknown could be.
I did want to ask you if you are aware that drakes are not recommended to keep with chickens? If a drake attempts to mate with a chicken he could kill her. Ducks have penises and roosters do not, so at the least he could cause the chicken to have a prolapse and at the worst kill her. ☹️ It sounds as if your male ducks are in with your chickens and I wanted you to know that it could be disastrous for them, especially since it's spring and their hormones are surging.
I not trying to be nitpicky but in the event you were unaware I wanted you to know. ♥️
I hope you get an answer about your mystery duckling soon.

However, one of the “blue Swedish” ducklings looks more like a mallard or Rouen duckling. I’m hoping someone can help me identify the odd ball.
ya, I don't think that one's a swedish.
These ducklings have been a little skittish compared to my boys when they were this age
Just give it time they will probably turn up.( A little piece of advice, try hand feeding them then they will love you forever!!!)

I did want to ask you if you are aware that drakes are not recommended to keep with chickens? If a drake attempts to mate with a chicken he could kill her. Ducks have penises and roosters do not, so at the least he could cause the chicken to have a prolapse and at the worst kill her. ☹️ It sounds as if your male ducks are in with your chickens and I wanted you to know that it could be disastrous for them, especially since it's spring and their hormones are surging.
I not trying to be nitpicky but in the event you were unaware I wanted you to know. ♥️
I hope you get an answer about your mystery duckling soon.
you are absolutely right!

@Isadora I did not know they were drakes at the time. I had the chicks and ducks together their entire lives and everyone was fine until mating season… Once I realized that I had two drakes I took action because I am aware they have different working parts and activity can become fatal. Also another huge reason I got the sexed girl ducklings from a hatchery! Fingers crossed they were sexed correctly! My chickens and ducks have an entire acre to free range, so I don’t typically have episodes during the day. The aggression was mainly first thing in the morning or right before bed. Now, my hens sleep on one half of the barn with my potbelly who the hens love, but my felons (drakes) sleep on the other half alone.

@AmeraucanaHank Yes! I think them being able to see me and watch me move around the house has helped. I also have been crushing up dried meal worms for more of an incentive to come to me. They have made huge strides since day one!

@Isadora I did not know they were drakes at the time. I had the chicks and ducks together their entire lives and everyone was fine until mating season… Once I realized that I had two drakes I took action because I am aware they have different working parts and activity can become fatal. Also another huge reason I got the sexed girl ducklings from a hatchery! Fingers crossed they were sexed correctly! My chickens and ducks have an entire acre to free range, so I don’t typically have episodes during the day. The aggression was mainly first thing in the morning or right before bed. Now, my hens sleep on one half of the barn with my potbelly who the hens love, but my felons (drakes) sleep on the other half alone.

@AmeraucanaHank Yes! I think them being able to see me and watch me move around the house has helped. I also have been crushing up dried meal worms for more of an incentive to come to me. They have made huge strides since day o

@AmeraucanaHank Yes! I think them being able to see me and watch me move around the house has helped. I also have been crushing up dried meal worms for more of an incentive to come to me. They have made huge strides since day one!

Attachments

• F9C784D0-D533-4DD8-BBAA-F018D36DD43B.jpeg
    F9C784D0-D533-4DD8-BBAA-F018D36DD43B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 1E99C6F4-9B2D-4FE8-91B6-AAA407B06E01.jpeg
    1E99C6F4-9B2D-4FE8-91B6-AAA407B06E01.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 8E68A892-7C5C-4166-BFF2-ADE018E0A41D.jpeg
    8E68A892-7C5C-4166-BFF2-ADE018E0A41D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Hello,

So I have an adult male Pekin and an adult male Rouen Hybrid (I think). They started getting aggressive with my chickens and are protective over me. I recently purchased 4 blue Swedish female ducklings from Metzer Farms. When I brought the chirping box home from the post office, it contained 8 ducklings. I emailed Metzer and they informed me that I had received 5 female blue Swedish and 3 female black Swedish ducklings and my order was duplicated by mistake. However, one of the “blue Swedish” ducklings looks more like a mallard or Rouen duckling. I’m hoping someone can help me identify the odd ball.

These ducklings have been a little skittish compared to my boys when they were this age, so I currently sit in a pen with them I set up in my house. They have a space heater and a heat lamp and room to explore while they eat and drink. The duckling I’m curious is the one to the right in the center cluster. Thanks!
Seems like they may be swedish blue like they said or possibly rouen and/or khaki campbell. hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom