Duckling Infected/broken leg??

In the first pictures it looks like there were some gashes on the one toe and then on the heel. I wonder when the predator took its mom is there was a struggle and maybe this duckling got scratched bad? It doesn’t all line up though does it? You’ve gotten some great advice! That poor baby is getting the help he needs! Thanks for being willing to help him. 😊

Is there any wire on the ground they walk on ? Were the babies with mom when she got taken ? If so baby could have been injured trying to hide
The pictures looks like there is line up the leg with little cuts and second set with the web gone the skin looks like infection under it
I could be wrong but just what I see when looking at it
Are you treating for infection ?

My first thought was that he was injured as well when his mom was taken. Have you been able to correct the situation that allowed her to be taken so that the ducklings are completely safe? I would look over the ground as well and make sure there's nothing sharp that he could have walked on or got caught on. To me it looks and sounds like an injury. I agree with Miss Lydia about the little shoe to try to gently straighten out his toes so they don't remain curled, plus the other meds that are being advised. I'm glad you're taking care of this little one and hope the best for him - that's a rough start to life, poor guy.

I have asked some other members to have a look and see what they think.
@New duck mommy 2021
@DuckyDonna
@shawluvsbirds
Thank you so much. I'm worried about putting the shoe on his little foot. The skin just kind of breaks/falls off more each day. It's almost brittle, for lack of a better word.
Any advice the others could contribute will be much appreciated.

I'm so sorry, that is worriesome, and understand your concern. I'm wondering if it would help to rub on some vitamin E oil? At one point a vet recommended it for one of my duck's feet - JASON extra strength vitamin E 32,000 IU skin oil. It's a super high intensity. Might help with the healing. Just a thought, I don't know.

Thank you so much. I'm worried about putting the shoe on his little foot. The skin just kind of breaks/falls off more each day. It's almost brittle, for lack of a better word.
Any advice the others could contribute will be much appreciated.
Yeah thats a problem for sure. if the toe isn't causing any walking problem I'd wait.

Back
Top Bottom