Duckling is breathing heavily

moonydoo

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
Hello, Im a first time duck mom and back again with another question about my eldest duck who is 2 weeks old by now. It is breathing very heavy sometimes and I am unsure why. right now it is breathing extremely heavy with its mouth open. Please can someone tell me what the issue is. It is not placed under a very hot heat lamp is the lamp is far. Also it is sneezing. Fould it be sick and breathing through its nose? I wojld love some help im very scared. It will not let me attach a video

Hello, Im a first time duck mom and back again with another question about my eldest duck who is 2 weeks old by now. It is breathing very heavy sometimes and I am unsure why. right now it is breathing extremely heavy with its mouth open. Please can someone tell me what the issue is. It is not placed under a very hot heat lamp is the lamp is far. Also it is sneezing. Fould it be sick and breathing through its nose? I wojld love some help im very scared. It will not let me attach a video
69E9C4C9-8149-4F4F-BF3C-48CF406493BF.jpeg

What is the temp in your brooder and Pekins do seem to mind the warmth more so than other duckling breeds. Can your little one dunk his head completely?
Yes its a pekin and it is about 80degrees. I just gave it some water with electrolytes and it and the other ducks ran and drank super fast, even though they have water fresh in their water can. But now that it drank it is panting less. Could it be too hot? But then I am wondering if it is sneezing because it made small sneezing noises

Looks like he is too hot, I'd put them in a bigger brooder so he can move away from the heat as needed. What kind of bedding are you using?

Last edited:
I would listen the Master of Clucker. Like us, some birds like it warmer than others so if you could have a place where they can go from hot, warm, too cold (without drafts, of course) that would be best. I raise my birds in a round trough as well, this also eliminates corners and pileups that can tend to suffocate hatchlings. Many foods are medicated but, if panting persists, it wouldn't hurt to put antibiotics in the water.

Last edited:
I would listen the Master of Clutter. Like us, some birds like it warmer than others so if you could have a place where they can go from hot, warm, too cold (without drafts, of course) that would be best. I raise my birds in a round trough as well, this also eliminates corners and pileups that can tend to suffocate hatchlings. Many foods are medicated but, if panting persists, it wouldn't hurt to put antibiotics in the water.

Lol, Master of clutter. I try to keep the house as clean as i can!

Back
Top Bottom