Duckling is scratching area between eye and bill causing feather loss. Please advise!!

Anyone care to check out the photos and give me your opinion? She's got adequate drinking and dunking water and it still looks grungy. Should I try cleaning if off with something?

Anyone care to check out the photos and give me your opinion? She's got adequate drinking and dunking water and it still looks grungy. Should I try cleaning if off with something?
Sorry it has taken me a while, I did look at the photo's earlier and just have a feeling there might be something that has irritated that spot. It's past my bedtime, so please bear with me.....

Could she have scraped that place on fencing or something else? Could she have been bitten by a spider or mosquito? That is what comes to mind when I see that spot.

No worries, it's taken me a while too. I don't think there's anything that she could have been bitten by - it's a possibility but the fact that it's been the same for quite a few days makes me think otherwise. I'm going to change them over to hay for bedding, just in case she's allergic to the pine shavings or something. I know it's doubtful but I figure it's worth a shot.

See if you can take a close look (I know, what I am asking is not easy) and see if she has a splinter or something sticking in the skin that is irritating it.

Thanks for your continued help, Amiga. You are true to your online moniker
smile.png
. I'm pleased to report that she seems a lot better after switching from pine shavings to hay. I'm not sure if maybe she was allergic or if maybe some dust or something from the shavings was irritating her, but she seems to not be scratching at her eye constantly anymore and it doesn't look as grungy now either. Or maybe the bedding switch is just coincidence and now that she's got head-dunking water, she's managed to flush out whatever was causing the irritation.

Whatever it was, I'm hoping that we're on the mend and that she'll be ok from here on out. More good news is that her sister "Quackers" made her first quack last night. The first of the 3 girls, so I think that the name definitely suits her.

Thanks for your continued help, Amiga. You are true to your online moniker
smile.png
. I'm pleased to report that she seems a lot better after switching from pine shavings to hay. I'm not sure if maybe she was allergic or if maybe some dust or something from the shavings was irritating her, but she seems to not be scratching at her eye constantly anymore and it doesn't look as grungy now either. Or maybe the bedding switch is just coincidence and now that she's got head-dunking water, she's managed to flush out whatever was causing the irritation.

Whatever it was, I'm hoping that we're on the mend and that she'll be ok from here on out. More good news is that her sister "Quackers" made her first quack last night. The first of the 3 girls, so I think that the name definitely suits her.
Hello
I have not posted before. I have several 4 month old runners. One is currently having difficulty with balance and is scratching his face like crazy. Eating and drinking. I have been giving him b complex. Has lots of feed and deep water dish. Any suggestions? He has been eating flock raiser. Pooh is normal. Slightly thin. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom