Duckling Leg Injury DIAGNOSIS: Slipped Tendons

Pics
True just thought you might get an idea of what might work for your little one. The part where the legs aren't touching the floor was interesting.
We appreciate it so much! This has been a very frustrating experience. In the past, we have relied on excellent advice here and then been able to talk over options with our vet. Not having access to a vet is scary, especially for an issue that is so time sensitive and for which we have so little experience.

As I think I mentioned previously, our vet is out of town until next Tuesday. Suspecting a slipped tendon, we sought out an emergency consult with another avian vet. We were able to get an appointment this morning, and the diagnosis was slipped tendon. Surgery was presented as an option, and there is a semi-local vet who did that surgery. Unfortunately when the vet called for us, we found out that the vet who did the surgery is no longer doing it. The vet is continuing to call around for us.

Now that we know what it is, we have been doing our own research too. This resource seems pretty good:

http://bcpoultryhobbyfarmingnetwork.weebly.com/fix-slipped-tendon.html

We'd like to try to get the tendons back into position and then splint, but we're hoping someone else has done this and might be able to provide pictures or descriptions of the procedure he or she used.

After getting home from the vet (about 1.5 hours away, so it was a long day), we let the ducklings swim, eat and drink, and we allowed the effected duckling to have some time in the sling. Both ducklings are pretty exhausted, so they are back in the brooder sleeping. We'll try stretching and re-positioning the tendon later this afternoon.

Thanks again for all your support!

View attachment 3187164

@3bird Did the vet say which tendon has slipped? It sure seemed like a hip problem from your earlier descriptions and videos.

You are doing really good with the physio and mobility sling you fixed up!

I hope your local vet can help tomorrow.

No. At the ankle. I think there could be multiple things going on here because I'm thinking less and less this is nutritional.
Agree! - I have seen ducklings and ducknagers injuring themselves when trying really hard to get into a kiddie-pool. They are so eager and excited to get into the water that they won't find the ramp but instead jump and try to claw their way up. Which is futile with a smooth plastic surface…
Your little one most likely got stuck in the feeder and injured her/himself while trying to escape from that thing that wanted to "eat her leg". A scared duckling can very easy hurt her/himself.
Best wishes for tomorrow with the vet! I hope she is able to fix this! 🤞🏻

Agree! - I have seen ducklings and ducknagers injuring themselves when trying really hard to get into a kiddie-pool. They are so eager and excited to get into the water that they won't find the ramp but instead jump and try to claw their way up. Which is futile with a smooth plastic surface…
Your little one most likely got stuck in the feeder and injured her/himself while trying to escape from that thing that wanted to "eat her leg". A scared duckling can very easy hurt her/himself.
Best wishes for tomorrow with the vet! I hope she is able to fix this! 🤞🏻
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom