Duckling - Is it splayed leg?

Ducklingdad

Hatching
Aug 19, 2023
Duckling splayed leg

Hi guys, Ive always used this site as a guest but I need some specific information I know you guys are really clued up.

We hatched 2 Indian runners, they are around 3 weeks now.

We have fed chick crumb with a dusting of brewers yeast every feed and today we are slowly changing to growers pellets.

I noticed one is holding its leg funny and hobblieing around slightly I have added a video and a picture which may help identify the issue.

The other duckling had no issues, they have both been kept on a hay floor in a large area.

The only difference is the lighter duckling which is haveing the issue (as video and pic show ) is larger than the black duckling which isn't showing any issues.

Can you guys help?

Thanks so much

Attachments

• 20230819_112638.jpg
    20230819_112638.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 90
There isn't a video. You will need to load a video onto Youtube or Vimeo and then put it up here. It may be an injury and did you check the bottom of her foot for bumble? Or it may be a niacin deficiency I don't know what you mean by a dusting of Brewers yeast but the rec dose is 1 Tab per cup of feed. And you'll need to check to make sure the brewers yeast has an adequate amount of niacin in it. I use Nutritional yeast it is loaded with all the B vitamins and is really good for them.
But once one already has an issue you need to bring out the big gun which is Liquid B Complex put 1 ml over a small amount of treat so she gets a full dose. It will depend on how severe the problem is is to how long it will take to get over it. But she should get over it since it just started. Then once a week has gone by with her leg normal you can go back to BY or NY but keep her on the liquid B complex until you see her back to normal.
here is some good info on types of liquid B Complex you need to look for. TSC usually carries Durvet liquid b complex
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

:welcome

VideoThere isn't a video. You will need to load a video onto Youtube or Vimeo and then put it up here. It may be an injury and did you check the bottom of her foot for bumble? Or it may be a niacin deficiency I don't know what you mean by a dusting of Brewers yeast but the rec dose is 1 Tab per cup of feed. And you'll need to check to make sure the brewers yeast has an adequate amount of niacin in it. I use Nutritional yeast it is loaded with all the B vitamins and is really good for them.
But once one already has an issue you need to bring out the big gun which is Liquid B Complex put 1 ml over a small amount of treat so she gets a full dose. It will depend on how severe the problem is is to how long it will take to get over it. But she should get over it since it just started. Then once a week has gone by with her leg normal you can go back to BY or NY but keep her on the liquid B complex until you see her back to normal.
here is some good info on types of liquid B Complex you need to look for. TSC usually carries Durvet liquid b complex
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

There isn't a video. You will need to load a video onto Youtube or Vimeo and then put it up here. It may be an injury and did you check the bottom of her foot for bumble? Or it may be a niacin deficiency I don't know what you mean by a dusting of Brewers yeast but the rec dose is 1 Tab per cup of feed. And you'll need to check to make sure the brewers yeast has an adequate amount of niacin in it. I use Nutritional yeast it is loaded with all the B vitamins and is really good for them.

Hi, thank you for your comment. I did upload a video to YouTube then copied URL for the video.

This is a video of her 3 days after the first video above.

I have increased niacin just incase.

No warmth in the leg.

That doesn't really seem like splay leg, where the legs go out to the side and the ducklings have a hard time standing up and moving around. It doe seem like she's walking a bit stiffly though. Are your ducklings contained to a brooder or do they have free reign of your home? I wonder if containing her a more constricted space would allow her legs to get the rest they need as she's dealing with this issue. Also, maybe some surfaces are more difficult for her to walk on. I would definitely follow Miss Lydia's advice and the liquid vitamin B complex to a treat or their food each day for awhile as they grow to make sure they're getting enough

That doesn't really seem like splay leg, where the legs go out to the side and the ducklings have a hard time standing up and moving around. It doe seem like she's walking a bit stiffly though. Are your ducklings contained to a brooder or do they have free reign of your home? I wonder if containing her a more constricted space would allow her legs to get the rest they need as she's dealing with this issue. Also, maybe some surfaces are more difficult for her to walk on. I would definitely follow Miss Lydia's advice and the liquid vitamin B complex to a treat or their food each day for awhile as they grow to make sure they're getting enough
I have been given Vit B complex and additional brewers yeast has been given since the original video.
Is it something likely to grow out of in your opinion?
They are contained to a brooder and have daily baths.
Thank you.

If you feel that her legs are pushing out to the side you can hobble her with one inch vet wrap. Make a little loop around each leg, then a larger loop (which goes around those loops and sticks to them) which holds the legs in proper position. Just keep that on her all the time except when she swims, which is good exercise for her legs. I hope this issue resolves!

Back
Top Bottom