Duckling Leg Injury DIAGNOSIS: Slipped Tendons

From this morning:

Would it be worth taking this duckling to see the vet to get a better sense of what's going on. We will continue to treat with nutrition and supplements, but is there anything else corrective we should be considering?
We have a phenomenal avian vet about five minutes away, so maybe we'll make an appointment. We're feeling like the duckling is not continuing to make the progress for which we were hoping. Thanks

I think that if a vet is a possibility -- and a phenomenal avial vet to boot -- you should go for it.

There is something underlying your little fluffy's bow legged gait. I think your nutritional support and swimming has helped strengthen the muscles and allow the duckling to walk where it could not. But I see what you mean that the progress is slowing. Maybe the vet can offer more to align the legs without the apparent bowing.

As Mis Lydia wrote -- please let us know what the vet says

I spoke to our vet tonight. She's actually out of the office for a couple weeks, so I'm not sure she is going to be able to examine our duckling. Ì'm sending her a full history and pictures, but I think we're going to have to make some decisions on our own.

What are people's thoughts about hobbling, splitting or otherwise trying to support the legs in the proper alignment as we continue supplements and PT? Do you have pictures?

If it were my duckling, without access to a vet, I would be thinking about hobbling. That is what I thought your vet might do -- show you how to hobble the top of the legs.

I wouldn't hobble today -- await the response to your video and notes sent to the avian vet. If the vet doesn't mention hobbling, you might ask about that.

Thank you. Because our vet is away, I probably won't hear back for a week. I'm not sure we should wait a week if hobbling is going to be our next course of action. Thoughts?

Maybe when your vet sees the videos she will get back to you. Those videos are great and she just may be able to tell you what to do from them.

I would not wait to hobble. They are growing so fast now that you don't want to close the window of opportunity on molding the little leg bones. It will probably be so much easier to correct now rather than when the duck is older. Kinda like people, kids heal so much faster than adults.

Maybe when your vet sees the videos she will get back to you. Those videos are great and she just may be able to tell you what to do from them.

I would not wait to hobble. They are growing so fast now that you don't want to close the window of opportunity on molding the little leg bones. It will probably be so much easier to correct now rather than when the duck is older. Kinda like people, kids heal so much faster than adults.
@DuckyDonna and @ruthhope , Do either of you have pictures or videos of hobbled legs that you think show good technique? We've got vetwrap and are ready to give it a go. Would you leave it on all the time (e.g., in brooder at night, swimming, etc.)? How often do they need to be changed? Any tips, tricks or strategies would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom