Duckling losing down on belly?

I'm also interested in your setup, and cleaning regime. That type of balding usually occurs when their sitting on wet bedding for an extended period of time throughout the day, the whole process can be sped up by feces accumulation as well. Where the the excess ammonia almost "burns" their skin/feathers.

I personally would not put them outside yet, a week is very young and your overnight temps are very low for them. You're right to still have them inside.

The fact that all three of them are having the same issue would I think indicate it being an environmental issue, and probably the bedding.

How big of a box do you have them in, how deep is their bedding? What are you doing to maintain it? (scooping out the wet shavings periodically through the day, changing the whole box - how often?)
I'm also interested in your setup, and cleaning regime. That type of balding usually occurs when their sitting on wet bedding for an extended period of time throughout the day, the whole process can be sped up by feces accumulation as well. Where the the excess ammonia almost "burns" their skin/feathers.
Thank you guys! I clean their container every day and spray it down. At first I tried using quite a bit of bedding (2-3 inches) but they soaked that through almost immediately, so what I’m trying now is to use 1 inch and every couple of hours go out there and throw another inch on. It seems to be working much better. They’re dry for once! I attached some pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 6
Thank you guys! I clean their container every day and spray it down. At first I tried using quite a bit of bedding (2-3 inches) but they soaked that through almost immediately, so what I’m trying now is to use 1 inch and every couple of hours go out there and throw another inch on. It seems to be working much better. They’re dry for once! I attached some pics

There isn't much space in the area, so even if you clean it once a day, the feces/ and water is so concentrated it's going to end up causing problems, like the one's you're already seeing. Could you switch them into a large kiddie pool? That'd provide them with much more space, and that way the feces will be distributed more sparsely which will make it less work for you.

There isn't much space in the area, so even if you clean it once a day, the feces/ and water is so concentrated it's going to end up causing problems, like the one's you're already seeing. Could you switch them into a large kiddie pool? That'd provide them with much more space, and that way the feces will be distributed more sparsely which will make it less work for you.
I could try, but it’d have to be outdoors which was the issue I was running into. My parents won’t allow the birds in the house and my garage only has room for storage tubs like the one I have. I do have a kiddie pool and I was going to get a pen for them when they are a bit older so they can spend their days outside and bring them back in at night. Is there an age when it would be ok to take their water for a night? Sorry about all the dumb questions. These are my first ducks and are very different from chickens.

I could try, but it’d have to be outdoors which was the issue I was running into. My parents won’t allow the birds in the house and my garage only has room for storage tubs like the one I have. I do have a kiddie pool and I was going to get a pen for them when they are a bit older so they can spend their days outside and bring them back in at night. Is there an age when it would be ok to take their water for a night? Sorry about all the dumb questions. These are my first ducks and are very different from chickens.

Would it be possible to set a secure heat lamp, or heating pad in your friends coop?

Would it be possible to set a secure heat lamp, or heating pad in your friends coop?
No there’s no electricity there. I’ve tried to find a battery powered heat source but can’t find anything that I think would be safe. I do have a slightly larger tub they can go into in a couple weeks. Should I try the outdoors during the day idea? That would give them some more space. I could then clean out their nighttime tub and have it be all set and dry for them when they go in at night. Are they too young to take away their water overnight? If so, when would I be able to do that?

No there’s no electricity there. I’ve tried to find a battery powered heat source but can’t find anything that I think would be safe. I do have a slightly larger tub they can go into in a couple weeks. Should I try the outdoors during the day idea? That would give them some more space. I could then clean out their nighttime tub and have it be all set and dry for them when they go in at night. Are they too young to take away their water overnight? If so, when would I be able to do that?

Could I suggest something (?) How about you make a small pen for them outside, and make a little structure (plywood lean-to, would suffice) for them so they can get out of the wind if needed. You can hang a heat lamp in the "draft-free area" and that'll give you a little bit more lean way, as far as when they can be out, and when they can be.

You can have them outside, in cooler temps (60f) as long as they have a draft-free area to get into to, and a heat source to go under as needed. Then in the evening bring them inside.

Could I suggest something (?) How about you make a small pen for them outside, and make a little structure (plywood lean-to, would suffice) for them so they can get out of the wind if needed. You can hang a heat lamp in the "draft-free area" and that'll give you a little bit more lean way, as far as when they can be out, and when they can be.

You can have them outside, in cooler temps (60f) as long as they have a draft-free area to get into to, and a heat source to go under as needed. Then in the evening bring them inside.
Awesome thank you! It’s pouring today but I’ll talk with my dad and try to design something so they can go out tomorrow.
Make this type of water container. Way less spilling. View attachment 2327594
Thanks! I’ll definitely try that out

Back
Top Bottom