Duckling losing down too soon? SOLVED! It's her oil gland....doh!

IdasChickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Hi everyone! Hope you all are well!

I have another duckling question if y'all are up for it. I surfed the web yesterday and today, referenced my books....and I can't seem to find anything specific.

One of my Khaki Campbell ducklings is developing bald patches; one on her back, and one around the base of her tail.

A few details:

She is eating, drinking and perky.

She is not vomiting, no diarrhea.

Not too hot or too cold. Using a red, brooder approved heat lamp.

She's not getting picked on as far as I've seen.

I've checked them ALL over for mites or lice. None that I can see.

Using pine wood chips (TSC) for bedding. Last night I switched to straw because that was all that was available. They all seem to be doing fine on it. They "eat" it less, actually!

I keep their bedding nice and clean. I change out bedding every 2-3 days. (Maybe too much? Not enough?)

I've been giving all my chicks electrolytes and probiotics (Sav-A-Chick).

The patch on her back went from the size of a half eraser tip to slightly larger than a pencil eraser tip overnight. (I really thought it could be picking because of that. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?)

It's not red or irritated. Gray looking, almost looks scaly, but it isn't. And I don't see any hint of new feathers coming in.

Finally, I moved her to a separate brooder (with some same sized, "packing peanut" chicken friends for comfort.)

Right now, she is quite. Resting in a normal duck position, head up. She really seems fine otherwise.

I saw Niacin supplement mentioned a lot for ducklings, and I am going to pick up some brewers yeast today, but that seemed like it was more for weakness, and she is definitely perky (if not mad that I separated her from the other ducks.)

I DID hear a few tiny sneezes coming from the other ducklings, but only a few and no other symptoms. No watery eyes or nostrils or anything. Added a few VetRx drops to the straw....

I've been giving them shredded greens also (VERY small with smashed up chick grit), in addition to the chick starter (unmedicated).

Could this just be molt? She is barely two weeks old and the other 4 ducklings whom she arrived with ARE NOT loosing any down, yet.

And I don't recall my drakes losing down this early.

What am I doing wrong? Is she just an ugly duckling?

I tried to "Google", "When do ducklings lose their down?", but as usual, Google has know idea what I want.

Thank you everyone for your help! I cannot express how much I truly appreciate this valuable resource!

Idas Chickens

EDIT: One more thought. If my ducklings do have some sort of bacterial something, you know, with the sneezing too, would the Duramycin work in a tiny dose, or are they still too young for that? * I really don't want to use ANY antibiotics, but I don't want an illness from the new hatchery chicks to spread to my lovely Drakes in the yard either!* So far, we have tried very hard to not expose them....practicing "bio-security"...or whatever-its-called, changing our clothes and everything!

Also, I contacted the hatchery, and told them everything I said here. They had no further recommendations other than what I'm already doing. Just to keep an eye on them, use antibiotics if I feel the need, and (I assume) cull....if nothing else is helping and they seem sickly.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh. After ALL that, it looks like she might have some tiny little pin feathers poking through!?
roll.png
I guess I should have just asked, "When do ducklings start losing their down?"
gig.gif

big_smile.png
Idas Chickens

IC, just checking in quick - I read the first part of your first post, and your second post, and I recall my runners dropping their tail down very early, like their first week. And I remember bare patches on their backs a week or so later.

IC, just checking in quick - I read the first part of your first post, and your second post, and I recall my runners dropping their tail down very early, like their first week. And I remember bare patches on their backs a week or so later.

Hi Amiga!

Thank you SO much for your response!

I feel like it is early for her to lose her down but when I look at her little butt, it looks like a little bump with tiny little feathers poking through!
I mean to take a pic, just have my hands full with them all at the moment
barnie.gif
....ITS CRAZY OVER HERE! I have 9 ducklings total, and 17 roosters all in one room! In my house!!
lau.gif

Anyway, she'll be happy to go back in with her duck mates....I'm about to let them all take a nice swim in the tub. Maybe she can get some preening in and it will help.

Idas Chickens

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom