Duckling ...newbie here need advice

Kellysducks

Hatching
May 19, 2021
I have a ducking which I helped out of its shell yesterday after the other eggs in the incubator hatched on Saturday ..it has a bent neck ..which had improved over night.. however its legs and feet do not seem right as its struggling to get about...I was thinking maybe putting som splints on its legs and the maybe some flat plastic shoes to help flatten its feel .....I know helping ducklings hatch is not recommended I just couldn't bear hearing it tweeting like it needed help..now I understand why the poir little thing couldn't get out ....iys quite strong despite its obvious problems

I feel responsible and that I must try to fix it as I am the person who brought it into this world any advice would be much appreciated..this is my first time hatching duck eggs I hatched 5 out of 10 eggs indian runners please help 😢

I've hatched many Runner ducklings, and I understand why you helped - I'm a "helper", too. :hugsIf you haven't already, I'd start offering a supplement like Poultry Nutri-Drench in case a deficiency is at work.

Can you post a pic of the duckling's legs so we can see what you've described? It would help inform suggestions on how to try to correct a potential problem.

16214549038096043403429997222916.jpg

I've hatched many Runner ducklings, and I understand why you helped - I'm a "helper", too. :hugsIf you haven't already, I'd start offering a supplement like Poultry Nutri-Drench in case a deficiency is at work.

Can you post a pic of the duckling's legs so we can see what you've described? It would help inform suggestions on how to try to correct a potential problem.

16214549038096043403429997222916.jpg

Hey...thank you so much doe your prompt reply ..ok ..ive posted a photo of my duckling ...and since posting earlier I have strapped splints to align legs...it can get about a little better and is managing to eat and drink(if I hold its legs) I've also taped its legs together just above the ankles ..they are slightly apart ..in the position I've seen on pics ..I've been stretching its hips pulling them gently down and kind of bicycle movements it seems very stiff..maybe drop being stuck in its shell for 33 days...im shocked its still alive tbh ..im from UK and I've been trying to get hold of selenium and vitamin e gel..I read a post with a picture attached and it apparently worked really well....I have been giving brewers yeast and children's vitamins ... im not having much luck finding the selenium gel I shall try to get hold of what you have recommended.....im trying my best....hopefully little one has more improvement over night x

Back
Top Bottom