My one week old duckling isn't putting any weight on it's leg. It doesn't even use it to swim😔 looks like just the foot is turned up

FirstTimeDuckyMom

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2023
Berkshire NY
My one week old duckling isn't putting any weight on it's leg. Doesn't even use it to swim. It's been like this since born. I hatched them myself. All 8 of them have survived an are thriving. Just having the issue with this one's foot/ leg . They are on duck starter an Poultry booster . #ALABAMAKARSON DUCKLING NEEDS YOUR HELP 🙏❤️

Attachments

• 17029002061594295454211264744335.jpg
    17029002061594295454211264744335.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 27
hi
i’m not new ducklings expert but i can tag some ppl who can help
@Miss Lydia @cheezenkwackers @New duck mommy 2021

what is poultry booster? If it’s a solution with electrolytes stop giving it . electrolytes are not to be given more than one week at a time. are you adding niacin to their feed in the form of either brewers yeast or nutritional yeast ?the nutritional yeast is superior you add 1 tablespoon per cup of feed to boost the B vitamin niacin level in the feed. also with any duckling or duck that’s having a leg issue we always suggest to give them additional niacin in the form of liquid B vitamin complex I buy Durvet brand from tractor supply or from Amazon and put some on their treats a little bit of mealworms or chopped up vegetables, like kale and lettuce in a dish with 1/4 to 1/2 ML of the liquid B vitamin complex on it so it’s soaks in and she eats all of it once a day for a couple of weeks.

Miss Lydia do you see how his bottom of his foot is on the top? I'm new IDK what to do..🥺 I need to wrap an splint it but how when it's turned like that.. an it acts like it hurts him 🥺
If the tendon is slipped it’s going to hurt to push his leg
The tendon would need to be put back then wrap
Please check for that first

Miss Lydia do you see how his bottom of his foot is on the top? I'm new IDK what to do..🥺 I need to wrap an splint it but how when it's turned like that.. an it acts like it hurts him 🥺
Is there any way you can get your duckling to a vet? I honestly don't think you can turn the foot to its normal position yourself. Did you check for slipped tendon?
Did you hatch this duckling and did it need help hatching explain why and the problems this could be a slipped tendon or a birth defect.

Please take a picture of the duckling on the floor so we can see how it is holding the foot and leg. Thanks.

Is there any way you can get your duckling to a vet? I honestly don't think you can turn the foot to its normal position yourself. Did you check for slipped tendon?
Did you hatch this duckling and did it need help hatching explain why and the problems this could be a slipped tendon or a birth defect.

Please take a picture of the duckling on the floor so we can see how it is holding the foot and leg. Thanks.
I hatched it out of incubator, hatched by itself. I will send a pic as soon as I get him calmed down. I'm gonna take him to Cornell vet I hoping they can help my baby.😔

Back
Top Bottom