Duckling pipped but hasn’t hatched in almost 72 hours

Brooke_R

Crowing
Sep 15, 2020
I’m hatching a Pekin/Mallard egg and it’s hatch date was this Tuesday. It pipped Sunday night but now it’s Wednesday evening and it hasn’t done much more at all. It is moving right now but it’s not making much more progress. Should I help it since it’s been so long?

Attachments

• PNG image.png
    PNG image.png
    708.7 KB · Views: 15
I'm NO expert, but last year we hatched 17 Pekin ducklings and one of them took 5 days to hatch. We DID give it some (sugar/electrolyte water?) by eye dropper to help with strength and compressed the shell near the hole by fingernail just enough to create some hairline cracks to help make it less difficult for it to push through. He did need extra attention after finally hatching, but he pulled through and it is the one drake we kept for our flock! Hopefully someone more experienced will reply and confirm (or debunk) the method we used.

I'm NO expert, but last year we hatched 17 Pekin ducklings and one of them took 5 days to hatch. We DID give it some (sugar/electrolyte water?) by eye dropper to help with strength and compressed the shell near the hole by fingernail just enough to create some hairline cracks to help make it less difficult for it to push through. He did need extra attention after finally hatching, but he pulled through and it is the one drake we kept for our flock! Hopefully someone more experienced will reply and confirm (or debunk) the method we used.
Okay thank you!

Ducks can take a REALLY long time to hatch ( especially when comparing them to chickens) but what Apollos-Quackers did seems like a good way to go if your duckling continues to have issues hatching.

Back
Top Bottom