Duckling shrink-wrapped please help!!!

Ravendad

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
I am incubating duck eggs I had two of them externally pip on day 27 and today day 28 I could see through the little hole that one egg looked like it was shrink-wrapped. I could tell the white membrane was pulled down from the air cell covering his beak it look like he was laboring to breathe so I panicked and took some tweezers to pull back a bit of the membrane but it started to bleed. I moisten the membrane and quickly put him back in the incubator.He has a hole about the size of a nickel and I can fully see his beak and he is breathing. I am scared to death because I can see some blood what should I do?

I have 2 more that externally piped I don't know whether to help them or just let them go I'm afraid to keep opening the incubator even though mine does build humidity back up in a few seconds. Please any advice would be helpful it's about 9 o'clock at night and it looks like I'll be up all night . So afraid I'm gonna lose this one and don't want to lose my other 2.

Thanks

Ravendad

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
OK I will read it. If anyone else has any immediate advice please respond . I tried posting a picture I'm also used it as my profile pic . I am brand new to this site and trying to figure out how to use it . This is also my first time ever hatching in incubator. At this point I'm just worried about the other two was this one was actually shrink-wrapped or did I just assist prematurely . If anyone can see the pic let me know I could try to do better ones also.

From what I can tell the duckling is doing OK she is breathing normal peeping and sticking her head out once in a while .I just don't know when to further assist or let her be. I feel so bad I think I messed up trying to help.

Thanks

Ravendad

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
Two of them have been piped for 24 hours now. But no further progress since then . They were wobbling a lot before piping but now they're pretty much still. I know it can take time for ducks to hatch. One of the many post I read said after 24 hours with no progress you should assist . There is so much conflicting information to sift through . I was so scared of them dying in the shell .

The third egg just piped about four hours ago.

casportpony

Spreadsheet Queen
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 24, 2012
The Golden State
Two of them have been piped for 24 hours now. But no further progress since then . They were wobbling a lot before piping but now they're pretty much still. I know it can take time for ducks to hatch. One of the many post I read said after 24 hours with no progress you should assist . There is so much conflicting information to sift through . I was so scared of them dying in the shell .

The third egg just piped about four hours ago.
If they can breathe they aren't going to die. :D

Top Bottom