duckling sick

lakotarain

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Hi everyone,
I got 2 ducklings from my local feed store 2 weeks ago. When we first brought them home they were fine. About a week ago we noticed they both seemed lazy and in interested in anything. We did some research and found out about niacin difficiency so we got some of that. After they were both improving. Now one can barely walk and opens and closes her mouth a lot. They both get bath time and proper food and water. I don't know what to do I'm worried. She can't hold up her head and shuts her eyes. She also falls over and lays on her back until I flip her back over.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I got 2 ducklings from my local feed store 2 weeks ago. When we first brought them home they were fine. About a week ago we noticed they both seemed lazy and in interested in anything. We did some research and found out about niacin difficiency so we got some of that. After they were both improving. Now one can barely walk and opens and closes her mouth a lot. They both get bath time and proper food and water. I don't know what to do I'm worried. She can't hold up her head and shuts her eyes. She also falls over and lays on her back until I flip her back over.
What breed of ducklings and was it TSC? reason asking we had a member get ducklings from TSC and one died when they contacted the store they were told alot of ducklings came in sick and died these were Pekin. May not even be remotely linked but knowing some back ground would be good, what are you feeding them/ what temps are your brooder? what are you using for bedding? how often do you clean out your brooder. when they swim is the water warm and do you dry them off and place them right back under heat? is she crested? Do they have a water container that they can wash their face in?

Last edited:
It wasn't tsc. I don't know what breed little yellow duckling I thought it might be pekin but not sure. Feeding Unmedicated starter. Brooder is at 85ish. Aspen bedding. Fresh bedding every weekend but poop is scooped out daily. Warm bath water then dry off with a towel then back under the heat lamp. I had her out earlier then put her back and went to check on her and found her laying on her back again.

It wasn't tsc. I don't know what breed little yellow duckling I thought it might be pekin but not sure. Feeding Unmedicated starter. Brooder is at 85ish. Aspen bedding. Fresh bedding every weekend but poop is scooped out daily. Warm bath water then dry off with a towel then back under the heat lamp. I had her out earlier then put her back and went to check on her and found her laying on her back again.
Do they have a way to get away from the heat? or are they staying directly under it? so once she gets on her back she can't right herself at all? you didn't say if she is crested/ thats the poof of feathers on top of their heads which makes them crested. can you get her to a vet? is the other one acting the same way? she may need an antibiotic

She isn't crested. She was the bigger of the two when we first got them now she is significantly smaller than the other. The other duck has no symptoms at all and is acting happy and healthy

Yes they can get away from the heat. I don't know if its that she can't get up or doesn't want to. She doesn't struggle at all when she's upside down. The other one is fine. What kind of vet would she need to see?

She isn't crested. She was the bigger of the two when we first got them now she is significantly smaller than the other. The other duck has no symptoms at all and is acting happy and healthy
There is something called failure to thrive that can affect young ducklings/chicks I guess any young animals, not saying this is what she has. Just hard to know but if you can get her to a vet that would be best . What about her appetite? okay take a small hand towel and make a donut place the duckling into this to keep her from flipping over place food and water close by so she can eat and drink. Make sure she eats and drinks and keep giving the niacin, you say she opens and closes her mouth alot does she appear to be in respiratory distress having trouble breathing? any discharge eyes clear? and can they dunk their heads in clean drinking water. i know I asked this already but sometimes ducks/dunklings can get feed stuffed into the nares if they can't wash their faces.

Here is a pic of a homemade waterer for ducklings that will keep them from climbing inside.

LL

an avain vet would be ideal but not all of us have that luxury so you may have to call around or ask the vet you use if they will treat ducklings or know some one who will.

She was eating this morning. Will try with the food now. Water is an inch deep. I use a mason jar waterer. Clear eyes no discharge. I'm not sure about trouble breathing hard to tell but constant mouth opening mouth closing

She was eating this morning. Will try with the food now. Water is an inch deep. I use a mason jar waterer. Clear eyes no discharge. I'm not sure about trouble breathing hard to tell but constant mouth opening mouth closing

You can also make her feed into a soupy mush if you think she'd eat it better, warm water with feed and a tiny bit of Apple Cider Vinegar. A mason jar waterer like for chicks? I have those, no way a duckling can clean it's nares or wash it's face in one of those, only thing you need to be very careful when putting water out for a duckling that is flipping or can't right it self. They can drown if they fall into even a shallow dish is they aren't able to lift themselves out. But she still needs to be able to dunk her head. How about when swimming can she stay in upright position? another place that's dangerous for a flipper.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom