Duckling struggling after being stuck in pipped egg.

Autiztik_chicken_tender

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2023
I have a Pekin /rouen mix that hatched last night with help from me. He had been in his egg pipped with a dime size hole for longer than 48 hours and I knew I needed to get him out. He was shrink wrapped, so I picked away at the shell and gave him time to push his way out. Once out, I noticed that his yolk sac was greenish colored. I'm afraid he may have gotten an infection once the yolk started to rot. He's very weak, won't open his eyes, and not walking around, but is peeping here and there. I have him under a heating pad right now, just hoping he'll pull through. Any advice is welcome.

Assisted hatches can take longer to recuperate from the process.

I wouldn't put him under the heating pad, just keep him in the incubator at the regular temperature. He may be overheating.

If you have any electrolyte solution, offer him some of that.

Assisted hatches can take longer to recuperate from the process.

I wouldn't put him under the heating pad, just keep him in the incubator at the regular temperature. He may be overheating.

If you have any electrolyte solution, offer him some of that.
Ok, I cleaned out the incubator and he's back in it. I'm about to mix up the electrolytes for the other 5 also, so I'll give him some with a dropper. Thank you!

Ok, I cleaned out the incubator and he's back in it. I'm about to mix up the electrolytes for the other 5 also, so I'll give him some with a dropper. Thank you!
You are very welcome. Please let us know how he's doing. And also, :welcome ! I hope to hear more and better news from you and your babies in the future!

HE'S UP AND WALKING! I put him in the brooder last night because he was the last one in the incubator and I knew that being alone he would give up and die. I put him in the brooder and just prayed. I knew that only he could decide whether or not to live.

When I woke up this morning he was in the water dish, soaking wet and not moving. I yanked him out and brought him upstairs and blow dried him to warm him back up. Before I left for church I put him back in the brooder but move the water dish so he couldn't get stuck in it again. I was sure that I was going to come home to a dead duckling.

I just got home, not only is he still alive, but he's completely fluffed up, no longer on his side, walking around as good as he can. His left leg is still very lame, but he's able to get around and get to the food and water. Thank you so much for your advice!

I'm so happy to hear this! :hugs

If you have some niacin (not the no-flush kind) mix some into the water to help with his leg. And if you have access to it, the Durvet vitamin B complex is excellent for this, too.

Now, your next task is to show us pictures of this little sweetheart! :lau

20230410_092308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom