Duckling voices changing at 2 weeks?!?

KCNC06

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Central NC
I've raised a lot of ducklings over the years, hatched 30+ ducklings back in 2019, so I *should* know this. BUT this seems weird even to me so I'm asking. I ordered 10 sexed ducklings from McMurray (Metzer), they should be females. They should be 15 days old today, they got to our PO on 5/27, left the hatchery late on 5/25. Anyway. I'm a crazy person and my brooder is in our bedroom so I hear the babies pretty much all the time. Yesterday I swore I heard someone starting to get her big girl voice. Definitely not just the adorable "peep, peep, peep" anymore. I've interrogated the group and no one will fess up to this new voice. Maybe I'm just not remembering since it's been almost 2 yrs since I had ducklings, but is it possible that someone's voice is changing this early? Or should I be concerned that someone has a cold or something? The breeds are Cayuga, Buff, Golden 300, Khaki and Swedish.
If these were straight run, like from TSC or our incubator, I wouldn't trust voices for sexing until they're way older. I called my favorite duck, Bill Bill, "he" until she was around 4 months old even though she was quacking way before then. I didn't want to be disappointed if she was faking her quack. 😂🤣😂

Back
Top Bottom