Duckling wing development

Mamasaurusrex2

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Hello everyone. I am new here and I have a question (probably a few really).

So my house backs up to a 55 acre nature park with 5 ponds and a couple creeks that are filled with ducks and geese. 2 weeks ago 5 ducklings showed up playing in the water next to my house. Judging by their feather development I guess they were about 4 weeks old when they showed up, no Mama in sight. We bought some duck food from a farm supply store and fed them a bit. That evening they came straight up to me for food and thus started th duckling adventure we've been on.

Two showed up with injured legs after the first week and could barely climb in and out of the creek or walk, so we took them to the bird rescue here where we were told these ducks are ok on their own, despite not being able to fly. They know me and come out of the creek if I whistle for them but run from others. They are very sweet. As per the farm supply store we have been feeding them unmedicated chick crumbs and I have mixed in oats to lower the protein content a bit. The first few days after they showed though, we gave then All Flock which has a higher protein. Anyway, I know they eat on their own and not just what we give them, but I want to make sure their wings are developing properly and that I am not contributing to angle wing or something. I have never given anything other than All Flock (the first few days), chick crumbs and oats, no bread or anything like that. How would I know if their wings are no developing correctly? I am guessing they are now about 6 weeks old? Does that look corrects? They have started quacking a bit and I can see some quills on the wings, which was why I was wondering if they are coming in right.
20190617_152026.jpg
20190617_152035.jpg
20190617_151954.jpg

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that. I do not have chickens or pet ducks so this is new to me lol. I just feel like if I am involved I need to make sure I'm responsible and doing it right lol. I worry about these babies a lot.
What your seeing is flight feathers coming in..Looks fine and you don't need to feed them if pond Ducks.

Take them off of oatmeal unless your wetting or cooking first. Oatmeal is the biggest problem in waterfowl as they need water to swallow in the first place and rolled oatmeal absorbs every bit of water in crop which causes impaction. Same for chickens. If you want to weaken food then find wheat millings. It is used to fortify fodder. I use omega plus chicken feed for my adults and wheat because they love it. As day olds to 4 weeks we feed 24% protein and buy mana pro non medicated chick starter.

Their leg/feet damage is most likely turtles in the creek as duck feet is their favorite and if small enough the entire chick. They should be on about 16% protein to avoid angel wing which can show up later in adulthood as well.

They are beautiful. It is terrible they lost their mom and I would call game and fish to see if you are allowed to keep them. I know in my state, we are not allowed to keep wild ducks without a farm permit.

What your seeing is flight feathers coming in..Looks fine and you don't need to feed them if pond Ducks.
That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. I know we don't need to feed them, but it has been a really special experience for my son and I as they know us. These live in the creek and never go to the ponds, the birds in the creek are shy, but the ones at the ponds are extremely friendly because they are used to people feeding them. I know they are getting their food naturally, but these know us and eat out of our hand and come when they see us. They run from everyone else, it's just a nice experience to feed them a bit.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. I know we don't need to feed them, but it has been a really special experience for my son and I as they know us. These live in the creek and never go to the ponds, the birds in the creek are shy, but the ones at the ponds are extremely friendly because they are used to people feeding them. I know they are getting their food naturally, but these know us and eat out of our hand and come when they see us. They run from everyone else, it's just a nice experience to feed them a bit.
Definitely if you only providing treats they are fine. Peas and Romain Lettuce also they will like..

Take them off of oatmeal unless your wetting or cooking first. Oatmeal is the biggest problem in waterfowl as they need water to swallow in the first place and rolled oatmeal absorbs every bit of water in crop which causes impaction. Same for chickens. If you want to weaken food then find wheat millings. It is used to fortify fodder. I use omega plus chicken feed for my adults and wheat because they love it. As day olds to 4 weeks we feed 24% protein and buy mana pro non medicated chick starter.

Their leg/feet damage is most likely turtles in the creek as duck feet is their favorite and if small enough the entire chick. They should be on about 16% protein to avoid angel wing which can show up later in adulthood as well.

They are beautiful. It is terrible they lost their mom and I would call game and fish to see if you are allowed to keep them. I know in my state, we are not allowed to keep wild ducks without a farm permit.
Thank you! I read over and over to add rolled oats which is why I added it, but if that's not good I will stop. They do go down and drink from the creek when I feed them but I noticed it makes them thirsty. They have been liking the oats more than the crumbs. Where might I find wheat fillings? I also thought about giving them some peas as a snack once in a while, I read that was good, is that correct? The feed we have now is 18% protein which is why I got worried.

I recently read that it is a federal offense to keep them, it made me so sad. I was seeing other mama ducks attack them and shoving them under water when they were a bit smaller and I wanted to just keep them, but I guess that's illegal. I've been watching them like a crazy obsessed person lol.

Back
Top Bottom