duckling with a flopy head

pinkado

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
i had this in the emergancys section but was advised to post here too
so here goes

one of my ducks who pipped backwards and had to get help as he was awefully shrink wraped has not stood up, it has been 24 hours, the poor thing was very weak when i got to him, i didnt want to help to early, i made sure all yolk was absorbed and then let him dry
now hes chirping, and he lyes on his side, kicking a bit, trying to preen but cant keep his head up at all, my other two are hopping around already
so what could this be, could it be because he was backwards in his egg and tightly squished in there?
i have given himvit water but making no difference, i now have him on my chest keeping him warm, i uped my body temp with a heat pad so i can keep him warm, i dont want to put him with the others, coz there peeking everything right now

so, should i continue on, or cull, i dont want to do it, but i dont have time or experiance for a disabled duck, but i will put the effort into it if hes curable and has a chance of a normal ducky life

Id like to add that I have nine muscovy hatchlings. They all had a rough start. Humidity was wrong- and several times during incubation they got cold (bad broody, then incubator trouble). They hatched mushy and weak. Seven perked up after 24 hours and went into the brooder. Two, well...I was waiting for them to die. One was twisted and couldnt seem to use its one leg, and its head twisted in one direction only. No way it could stand up. 36 hours later- it was running around the brooder. I have one more in the incubator still. Its still on its side- but improved. I am giving it another day to see if it improves.

Just wanted to share so you wont make a decision too early.

They have so much less room to move around in the egg to hatch when they pip the wrong end. I have one almost every hatch that does that- and just leave them to hatch on their iwn as much aas possible. They can often have minor problems - that are gone within a few days once they are out and able to mobve so much more freely. Their legs can sometimes be in the wrong possition and such. Give it some more time and see if it perks up in the next 24 - 48 hours before you make a descision.

glad you asked because I have one in the same position. I hesitated to help even though it was on the wrong end. I had no clue what I would be facing if I did try to help. I am keeping this one in the incubator a bit longer. I take it out to give it vit and electrolyte water. it took 3 full days to hatch. I was ready to give up. It just seemed this one was not going to make it but it got out. I hope after all that it does not need culling. I think that would break my heart now.

well update on percy, he is still weak, but is calling more, he ate food this morning, with my help, i held him over the food, he opened one eye and drank somewater, i fed himsoporage oats, soaked in water for 10mins, so they dont expand inside him and rinsed down to they dont bind him up, so im gonna give him another few days to see if he get any stronger

percy is chirping more, and opening his eyes for longer, im making him interact with the others, i hold him up and help him run around and do what the other two do, i help him feed, hes getting better head motion, but still cant hold his head up, i am helping him move around, getting his muscles stronger and working with him, giving him vit and sugar water, so, a few days of this and he should get stronger, i will keep all upto date on percys physotherapy, hee hee

we had three hatch and the middle child was smaller (we assume mixed with mallard) and weak, gimpy wing and for a whole week trouble with getting her feet under her.

We named her........wait for it......NEMO!

she is 21 days old today, and doing great! Even her gimpy wing seems to have normalized. She hatched in my hand! I can post pictures later on, so darn cute!

The others are still bigger, they sleep seperate in rubbermaid boxes. they all can now see over the top, and seem to be bonded with us humans. That is what I wanted. I have diapers on the way..........until then I have tried harnesses with material crudely sewn on it. they HATE it! lol.

I told them Nettie's will be much more comfortable, and I will post pics of that too at some point....

I hope yours recovers too!

Ours were born 05/20 (Kiwi, we had to help her) 05/21(Nemo) and 05/22 (Lightning since she was suddenly there under the broody chicken)

Hopefully your floppy head is doing better tonight. I put mine on a bit of sugar water when it first hatched . It was so weak I was struggling to get it to drink. It went onto vitamine/electrolyte water and probiotic powder . Its running with the rest of them tonight.

When you say sugar water. How much sugar to how much water? I have one that needed help and i knew as soon as i saw her bill sticking out of her egg i was in for a long night. Her top bill is crocked and doesn't completely cover her bottom bill. She is already playing in her water dish but she's alone and not expecting friends till Mondays hatch. I would like to give her a little boost. Born Tuesday and completely out Wed. morning. If you can tell me about the sugar water that would be great. Thanks Angie.

Well, my last weakling has joined the others in the brooder. Its a little weaker than them, but doing fine now. I cant even find which one it is unless I pick them up. So, out of nine eggs, I have nine chocolate scovy babies.
smile.png
Good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom