Duckling with beak deformity

Well, my little one is all hatched now and doing pretty well. I must have been mistaken about the large yolk left to absorb, because it’s basically closed up now. I just took him and his hatchmate out of the incubator.
ABC1AF89-27AA-4437-BC74-E15424508385.jpeg
3A198FA5-697D-411D-BB4A-0E93AB5D33A0.jpeg
F87DAC9B-3255-43C0-90B5-06358F22C009.jpeg

It’s interesting that you said your duckling had its swing over at head. My duckling also had its wing over its head. It was in the air cell like that (only wing and head). I could see it’s wing in the air cell when I candled it. I lost another one that was upside down in the egg. (I only incubated 4) The other two that made it out of the egg are doing great. Unfortunately the baby with the deformed bill passed away this afternoon
So sorry you lost yours. I actually don’t expect mine to make it either, it’s still in the shell, half assisted, but I think I see a large yolk.
I now wonder if the wing bone may have impeded the growth of the bill? Maybe it was folded over it weird. The good thing is that we’ve seen some horrible bill injuries that seem to heal easily, so I was hopeful, but after my last progress check, things aren’t looking great.
Well, my little one is all hatched now and doing pretty well. I must have been mistaken about the large yolk left to absorb, because it’s basically closed up now. I just took him and his hatchmate out of the incubator.
View attachment 2655463View attachment 2655461View attachment 2655462
View attachment 2655463View attachment 2655461View attachment 2655462
congrats! It’s still early, but is he/she drinking eating yet? Does yours have both nostrils? Is the lower portion Of the big aligned with the upper portion?

congrats! It’s still early, but is he/she drinking eating yet? Does yours have both nostrils? Is the lower portion Of the big aligned with the upper portion?
He’s still weak, but I did dip his bill and he seemed to swallow. The other duckling is very active, so I hope that will help.
In that last picture above, the right side is basically a mirror image of the left. I don’t think the nostrils are there, but I’ll check better tomorrow. It looks kinda like from where the nostril should be, down toward the tip, is just gone. The pinkish color that is visible is part bottom bill, part tongue.

Back
Top Bottom