Duckling with injured neck

Danel

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2020
Hi all.

I have a duckling that has a neck turned to the left due to injury. It isn't tilted, but rather turned, always facing left. Is this wry neck and can it be correct, if caused by injury? She can groom herself perfectly on the left but not so much on the right. She was falling backwards alot but this has improved and she is taking small steps forward. She is very off balance. She can move her head to the right, but in relaxed position it is left. I will attach a photo. She is the one on the right.
IMG_20201009_183005.jpg
Please help. I am devistated. She is my baby and I have been sobbing so about this little one.

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your duckling.

Why, do you mention it's an injury? Did she get her head caught on something, or did she fall? Did you hatch her, or was she shipped? If you hatched her, did she come out of the shell looking this way?

Just for some basic care, I would suggest offering her mashed scrambled eggs often, and move her to the feeder and waterer frequently to ensure she is getting food/water inside her. It might not be a bad idea to start her on a poultry vitamin as well. Something like Poultry cell, nutridench, sav-a-chick will work.

Thanks for your reply. Mommy duck left the nest with 4 ducklings and left an egg. Needless to say, there was a duckling inside. I have had her since she hatched so she imprinted on me. It is definitely an injury. She wasn't born this way. She ended up under a foot. 😭 Scrambled eggs are her absolute favourite. Been giving her scrambled eggs liquidised with chick starter feed combined with Brewers yeast (couldn't find water fowl feed) , coriander and rosemary (for the vitamin E) and peas, all mixed with a water to form a nice mash. She also gets water infused with rosemary and coriander. Not sure if this is correct, but I heard this is great natural source of vit E. I can definitely see and improvement. She is starting to take a few steps. Her neck is very much to the left though, but I can also see a slight improvement there. She is still very off balance and falls over. These have been a rough few emotional days.

Thanks for your reply. Mommy duck left the nest with 4 ducklings and left an egg. Needless to say, there was a duckling inside. I have had her since she hatched so she imprinted on me. It is definitely an injury. She wasn't born this way. She ended up under a foot. 😭 Scrambled eggs are her absolute favourite. Been giving her scrambled eggs liquidised with chick starter feed combined with Brewers yeast (couldn't find water fowl feed) , coriander and rosemary (for the vitamin E) and peas, all mixed with a water to form a nice mash. She also gets water infused with rosemary and coriander. Not sure if this is correct, but I heard this is great natural source of vit E. I can definitely see and improvement. She is starting to take a few steps. Her neck is very much to the left though, but I can also see a slight improvement there. She is still very off balance and falls over. These have been a rough few emotional days.

So sorry you're having to go through this.

While Coriander and Rosemary have vitamin E in them, it would be best if you got full strength/ 400iu humans vitamin E and give her that once a day. I would suggest following the treatment I suggested above, and getting back to us in a few days to let us know how she's doing.

So sorry you're having to go through this.

While Coriander and Rosemary have vitamin E in them, it would be best if you got full strength/ 400iu humans vitamin E and give her that once a day. I would suggest following the treatment I suggested above, and getting back to us in a few days to let us know how she's doing.
Thanks so very much. I will go to the pharmacy today to get vit E. Will also see if I can find the above products you mentioned. These things seem to be limited in South Africa

Danny Duckling is doing so much better today. She still falls over, but she walks now. Yesterday she couldn't walk at all. She is such a little fighter. She gets very frustrated though. Will definitely keep updating on her progress. 🐣💞

So lovely to hear! Thanks for the update. Have a picture of her?

Update of Danny Duckling. She is walking well. Loses her balance every now and again. Here is pic of her and her sister swimming in our lilly pond. Danny on left in pic. And then one of them in my bed. Hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_162148.jpg
    IMG_20201011_162148.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20201014_080801.jpg
    IMG_20201014_080801.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom