duckling with leaking yolk??

ReeChatelain

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 9, 2012
I need some advise. I've read everything i can find and still i don't know what to do. I'm hatching my first clutch of rouen duck eggs. All 5 were progressing well and due on Sunday. But nothing and when i candled on Sunday there was movement in 3 but no pipping. Monday morning 1 had internally pipped. The other had no movement. By Tuesday,(day 30) i decided to help i made a small opening and could hear her chirping i waited a few hours and peeled back a little more shell. The inner membrane was extremely dry. So i moistened it and could see some small veins. So i wrapped her in a warm wet paper towel and put her back in the incubator. She has been breathing and chirping and moving she head a bit. My concern is when i got home i could see some wet looking yellow liquid leaking from the shell opening. She is in no danger of drowning but I'm worried she ruptured the yolk sac.. tonight i moistened the exposed membrane and could tell the yellow liquid was mostly dried and sticky. So my big fear is that she will be stuck in the shell. There are still some veins so i think its too soon to try helping her more. But I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm going to be heart broken if i lose them all.. Any advise??

i know i had humidity issues through out but mainly it was too low around 40. I'd add water and it would spike than drop to 30.. i ended up putting a container in the top with water but i hadn't tried that til lockdown. So it stayed steady around 75-80 after that.
The vent holes i didn't open until pipping cause i was so worried about keeping the humidity up.
I don't add water at all to mine until lockdown, I was having way to many sticky issues, but it seems to read 20-21 all the time.. come Lockdown, I will increase it to 60-65

Btw.. Mamma and pappa wanted to say thanks for all of your help too.

Well he's a bit camera shy. Lol
Beautiful, But Momma is in trouble, her and I will need to sit down and have a heart to heart talk. She needs to understand we can't do her job all the time. LOL She needs to get it together and do this so that we can quite stressing. LOL

I am incubating for the first time and reading this post has me terrified.

I didn't realise it can be so difficult?

Can't you just take bits of the shell off and help the duckling out??

In some cases, yes. In a lot of cases, maybe. In a lot of cases, NOT YET. There are assisted hatch threads here that are very interesting, just keep an eye out for those. It's really tricky, and scary to me... and yet next year I think I might try to hatch a few.

In some cases, yes. In a lot of cases, maybe. In a lot of cases, NOT YET. There are assisted hatch threads here that are very interesting, just keep an eye out for those. It's really tricky, and scary to me... and yet next year I think I might try to hatch a few.

I agree with Kaessa. Don't panic before its time. A lot of hatching issues depend on "what" you are hatching. There are folks who have no hatching issues at all, so it is possible!! As far as assistance, there are some that believe if a chick needs help, then it may not be strong enough to survive, even with help. Others jump to help too soon. So hang in there and see what happens. But yes, search for "assisted hatch" and read Sally Sunshine's post especially, among others. You will be prepared "in case" there is an issue, and then you will know if you want to help or not!

Best of luck, keep us posted on your hatch!

All three babies are doing great.

Not a great picture through the foggy window. But you can see the yellow drip.
1f622.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom