Ducklings 6 and 7 weeks outside?

Serenitys-garden

Chirping
Mar 19, 2022
I have 6 and 7 week old ducklings who are mostly feathered and who my family wants out of the basement. It is still 40 for the low this next week. They have a hoop house. Should I wait a week when the low is 50, or can they be moved now and use a heat lamp for a week? I want to wait but my family says that the scentsy isn't helping the smell. Lol. I don't even notice it! I plan to keep them in the hoop house for a week before letting them roam with the older ducks.

Attachments

• 20230421_094145.jpg
    20230421_094145.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220507_175200.jpg
    20220507_175200.jpg
    962.3 KB · Views: 13
They are high past time for them to be kicked out of the house. They can be outside without the heat lamp if they've already been weaned from it.

They should be fine outside, they have each other to cuddle for warmth. Just make sure the bedding is dry and warm.

I'd be more concerned about releasing them that quickly. Keep an eye on them and the other ducks, and try to get as much see-n-touch time for them first.

They should be fine outside, they have each other to cuddle for warmth. Just make sure the bedding is dry and warm.

I'd be more concerned about releasing them that quickly. Keep an eye on them and the other ducks, and try to get as much see-n-touch time for them first.
Should I keep them separated longer? I have 3 adult Rouen hens and 1 drake.

I would definitely be worried the drake might hurt the younglings. Thing is, you never know. I've had ducks integrate themselves immediately, and others that took weeks and had to be confined.
Basil, the drake, is ok with other animals except my jack Russell who he runs off the deck. I am fairly certain there are 2 males and 5 females in the new batch with the lil guy unknown yet. He was the smallest at the store and still is.
Thanks! Will definitely keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom