Ducklings about to arrive

Patty43

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Just a quick question regarding ducklings. Have a runner duck sitting on 16 eggs. They are due to hatch next weekend. The momma duck shares a pen with 2 other ducks and a drake. Should I split the pen up and leave her and the ducklings separated. This sounds like a wise idea to me, but I don't want to stress her out by separating her from the other ducks. They have all lived together for a year now. Will the other ducks tolerate the babies or should I expect them to be a problem. She doesn't seem to mind when they go into her house with the nest. I only have 1 pen so I am thinking about splitting it down the center with chicken wire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Congratulations!

I write this often, but here it is again - it is up to the ducks exactly how it goes.

Splitting the pen is a good idea. She may not be a good mother after they are hatched, so you need to be prepared to brood them separate from her, just in case. If the ducks can see each other I do not think they will get overly stressed.

OK . Thanks very much for the info. Will watch over babies and put them in brooder if she is not a good momma

Back
Top Bottom