Ducklings and swimming

Zoey..

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
I’ve seen lots of threads but just had a simple question. Ducklings are 3-4 weeks, live in the barn with a heatlamp. It’s 60 here, is it fine if they swim in the kiddy pool supervised and then go back to clean bedding with their heat lamp? Not worried about drowning as I’m always watching them when they are out to exercise

I’ve seen lots of threads but just had a simple question. Ducklings are 3-4 weeks, live in the barn with a heatlamp. It’s 60 here, is it fine if they swim in the kiddy pool supervised and then go back to clean bedding with their heat lamp? Not worried about drowning as I’m always watching them when they are out to exercise
From Metzer:
Ducklings and goslings can be introduced to swimming water as early as one week of age but you must be very careful. They must be able to walk in and out of the water very easily. The water should not be too cold and they must be able to find their heat lamp for rewarming without difficulty. As they have no oil on their feathers at this age, they cannot be in the water for long periods or they will become waterlogged and chilled. Do not allow this to happen! But this exposure to water speeds the development of their oil gland and they can probably be swimming freely by five or six weeks of age.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/RearingInstructions.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=19942294

That's basically what I did. Except their brooder is the kiddie pool. :D So, I used other containers for their swims.

Back
Top Bottom