Ducklings dying

Critter1971

Hatching
Jun 22, 2021
Hi I am new to owning Muscovy ducks. I was given 4. We built a pen and a run. We bought the starter food and let them free range. The ducks were born may 16. We had a female and three boys. They were all doing great. One morning last week we went to let them out and the female was dead. Then about 2 days later a male died. We took it to the vet and he said it had a heart attack and figures there was a genetic condition so gave us electrolytes to give the last two. This morning we let them out and they were fine but we put them in their pen while we were at work. Tonight one of the other males is behaving the same as the others did. I don’t know what is going on. Maybe the vet is right but they have died so spread out from each other. Does anyone have any thoughts. I feel like we have done something wrong😔

So very sorry about your ducks, Muscovy are very special and usually very hardy. Has your vet mentioned a necropsy? That can most of the time tell if it's genetic or something else going on. How is your drake today?
What are you feeding? do the have deep bucket or bowl for cleaning their nares?
At a little over a month old have they still had heat if they want it?

Hi I am new to owning Muscovy ducks. I was given 4. We built a pen and a run. We bought the starter food and let them free range. The ducks were born may 16. We had a female and three boys. They were all doing great. One morning last week we went to let them out and the female was dead. Then about 2 days later a male died. We took it to the vet and he said it had a heart attack and figures there was a genetic condition so gave us electrolytes to give the last two. This morning we let them out and they were fine but we put them in their pen while we were at work. Tonight one of the other males is behaving the same as the others did. I don’t know what is going on. Maybe the vet is right but they have died so spread out from each other. Does anyone have any thoughts. I feel like we have done something wrong😔
Is their pen/enclosure outside by any chance?

So very sorry about your ducks, Muscovy are very special and usually very hardy. Has your vet mentioned a necropsy? That can most of the time tell if it's genetic or something else going on. How is your drake today?
What are you feeding? do the have deep bucket or bowl for cleaning their nares?
At a little over a month old have they still had heat if they want it?
Hi thank you for responding. So the vet did a necropsy and said it was genetic heart condition he figures. The heart had fluid around it and the liver was engorged. The third one died last night. I have deep dishes and tubs filled with water and when the first two died the vet told us to use electrolytes in all of their water which we have been doing. They were all free range and grower food was given too. We bring them inside or put a heater pad in with them on these cool nights. The vet only did necropsy on one of the birds. The last bird is much larger then the rest were so it may be that the others did indeed have a heart disorder but I am so afraid that there is something in my yard but I honestly can’t find anything. Now we are left with the last drake who is very independent but now he is very distressed and following us and trying to jump up on us. We don’t mind this but now I am worried about him

That's very sad, so sorry. I'm sure this last drake feels very alone since they are so much flock birds. Are you considering getting a few more for him? If they all came from the same stock I could see this heart condition although I've never seen it in my own flock. And I have at least 2 generations. I sure hope your drake will remain healthy and you can find him some females to make his life happy.

Welcome to BYC!
and please I hope you don't take me as being uncaring since you just lost your Muscovy not my intent at all I just know having had them since 2004 they very much depend on each other for companionship.

Yes they have a run and a house that we close at night. They were eating lots of mosquitos and grass
It very well could be genetic. Just another possibility to throw out there again this is just a thought that came to mind is do you have any predators around that could be stalking around their area at night? A non-genetic heart attack alone could cause the fluid around the heart and if there is something large stalking them that could potentially cause a heart attack as well. I know we use to have coyotes that would stalk our chicken coop and run circles around it at night that would absolutely terrify the chickens until we realized what was happening and took care of the coyotes.

It very well could be genetic. Just another possibility to throw out there again this is just a thought that came to mind is do you have any predators around that could be stalking around their area at night? A non-genetic heart attack alone could cause the fluid around the heart and if there is something large stalking them that could potentially cause a heart attack as well. I know we use to have coyotes that would stalk our chicken coop and run circles around it at night that would absolutely terrify the chickens until we realized what was happening and took care of the coyotes.
Well I don’t think so🤔. Our yard is completely fenced along a river. The last one died inside as we bring them in the house when it is cold. There seems to be no evidence of anything trying to get in the pen😞

That's very sad, so sorry. I'm sure this last drake feels very alone since they are so much flock birds. Are you considering getting a few more for him? If they all came from the same stock I could see this heart condition although I've never seen it in my own flock. And I have at least 2 generations. I sure hope your drake will remain healthy and you can find him some females to make his life happy.

Welcome to BYC!
and please I hope you don't take me as being uncaring since you just lost your Muscovy not my intent at all I just know having had them since 2004 they very much depend on each other for companionship.
Oh no offence taken. I appreciate all you have to offer! I want to get more but I am so uncertain😔. It worries me to death that their could be something in my yard. If it is a heart condition I would at least feel okay about getting another. I don’t know where to get another and I don’t now if they need to be the same age. The strange thing is that the person we got them from had 8 ducklings and gave the other 4 to a friend and hers seem to be fine. Which makes me think the vet may be wrong but he did the test and said it was a heart issue. I am so torn

You haven't used any pesticides? checked all your plants that grow on your property? No neighbors who have voiced their dislike of you getting ducks?

Back
Top Bottom