Ducklings eating medicated chick starter?

LoupGarou

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
I went to great lengths to get unmedicated chick starter for my chicks, because I had heard that ducklings should not have medicated chick starter and I didn't want any around in case my future ducklings got ahold of it. Now, when I need to get more chick starter, my car breaks down and it may be a couple of weeks before I can get it going again. Unfortunately, the only places that are close to me sell medicated chick starter and my ducklings are being shipped next week. The feed store guy said that they get ducklings in "all the time" and feed them the same as the chicks. Should I believe him or should I call the hatchery and see if I can cancel/move my order?

I have always been told, not to feed ducklings medicated feed. Have you considered ordering it online? I wouldn't want to take the chance and wait and "see" what happens to them after you feed them the medicated. You can always do lots of research before making your decision. There's lots of information on the internet. Also, try putting a call into your vet's office and see what they say...make sure you talk to the actual vet though. Best of luck.

Hello, ducks eat alot more than chicks do and can overdose on the meds in the medicated chick starter. I would order online until you can get some locally. Better safe than sorry.

Ordering online sounds great, but I don't know where to order from. TSC doesn't ship food and I'm not sure of where to get unmedicated food online. Any suggestions?

It is perfectly safe to feed medicated chick starter in most cases. In most cases the 'medication' is Amprollium which is a coccidiostat that prevents coccidiosis from reproducing. There are quite a few long-time breeders that feed medicated chick starter to all of their ducklings & they've not had any problems as a result.

What used to be a problem was when the medication used in chick starters was an arsenic. They no longer use those types for the most part.

I let my muscovies hatch thier own and i just feed meatbird crumbles to all the ducks even the ducklings never had a problem,i have been doing this for years

ɱůşçōvý :

It is perfectly safe to feed medicated chick starter in most cases. In most cases the 'medication' is Amprollium which is a coccidiostat that prevents coccidiosis from reproducing. There are quite a few long-time breeders that feed medicated chick starter to all of their ducklings & they've not had any problems as a result.

What used to be a problem was when the medication used in chick starters was an arsenic. They no longer use those types for the most part.

I agree. It's all I raise my call ducklings on. As long as the "medication" is amprol/amprolium is fine for them.​

Thanks everyone! I'll check and see what the medication is and not panic over it if it's the Amprollium, as everyone suggested. I have a handful of the unmedicated feed left and I was going to give that to them until the gamebird feed was delivered, but now I'm not going to worry about it.

I love this site and its wonderful, helpful people!

Back
Top Bottom