Ducklings hatching on the wrong end?

They weren’t shipped, my ducks outside laid them and I incubated them. I’m unsure how the air cells got the way they are, I think one I didn’t turn enough, and the other I have no clue. It’s really strange.
Did you incubate them on their sides or upright? Hand turn or automatic turner?
Just curious.

Did you incubate them on their sides or upright? Hand turn or automatic turner?
Just curious.
On their sides. Hand turned, 2-4 times a day. It’s what I’ve always done and I’ve hatched tons of birds that way, I’ve only recently started raising and hatching lots of ducks, so I’m coming across all kinds of issues.

On their sides. Hand turned, 2-4 times a day. It’s what I’ve always done and I’ve hatched tons of birds that way, I’ve only recently started raising and hatching lots of ducks, so I’m coming across all kinds of issues.
Well that sounds perfect. I have no idea what causes wonky air cells if they aren't shipped or mishandled at all. Ducks sure seem to like to get themselves Mal positioned.

Just another update, the veins receded and it’s started to move and chirp a lot. When looking at it I noticed not only is it hatching out the wrong end but it’s foot is over it’s head 😬 I helped it at least get its head out of the egg, but I’m going to leave it so it can push itself out. It’s moving a lot, so I don’t think it’s weak.
As for the other egg the whole of the small end is bruised, where the air cell is. But when I candle it I see the duckling moving, so I’m going to leave it for a while more.

Just another update, the veins receded and it’s started to move and chirp a lot. When looking at it I noticed not only is it hatching out the wrong end but it’s foot is over it’s head 😬 I helped it at least get its head out of the egg, but I’m going to leave it so it can push itself out. It’s moving a lot, so I don’t think it’s weak.
As for the other egg the whole of the small end is bruised, where the air cell is. But when I candle it I see the duckling moving, so I’m going to leave it for a while more.
The bruise is probably where it has tried to pip. At this point it's been a while.
I would make a small hole where that bruise is and try to locate the bill.

The bruise is probably where it has tried to pip. At this point it's been a while.
I would make a small hole where that bruise is and try to locate the bill.
I thought that, but, it’s around the whole egg. I’ll attach an image. And I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been 28 days yet, and I see veins when I candle it.

I thought that, but, it’s around the whole egg. I’ll attach an image. And I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been 28 days yet, and I see veins when I candle it.
A7AFD891-7254-4610-8D90-F05E89E78CD5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom