Duckling's Heart Sounds Crunchy?

EskiBear

Chirping
Sep 16, 2022
Hi! Yesterday I had a duckling hatch, and I noticed that it's heart(?) sounds crunchy. It hatched from the small side of the egg and I'm not sure who the parents are(it is possible that it could have been inbred). It was the only duckling to hatch out of 14 that my duck started sitting on, but then abandoned. When I moved the eggs to the incubator they were already cold. Could this have been the cause? I've noticed that when it's napping the sound is much quieter, but when it's running around it's quite loud. Other than that, it seems healthy. It hasn't started eating or drinking yet, but it's first poop was normal. It's very lively and doesn't seem like it's in pain. Is the sound something I should be concerned about?

Hi! Yesterday I had a duckling hatch, and I noticed that it's heart(?) sounds crunchy. It hatched from the small side of the egg and I'm not sure who the parents are(it is possible that it could have been inbred). It was the only duckling to hatch out of 14 that my duck started sitting on, but then abandoned. When I moved the eggs to the incubator they were already cold. Could this have been the cause? I've noticed that when it's napping the sound is much quieter, but when it's running around it's quite loud. Other than that, it seems healthy. It hasn't started eating or drinking yet, but it's first poop was normal. It's very lively and doesn't seem like it's in pain. Is the sound something I should be concerned about?
Can you hear this sound without listening closely to the duckling's heart? Can you record it?

Can you hear this sound without listening closely to the duckling's heart? Can you record it?

It's faint- if you turn your volume up you can hear it better. It's kind of crunchy. The duckling was so confused as to why I was recording her haha
Edit: Yes, you can hear the sound even when you’re not listening closely.

Last edited:
Weeeeeeeeird...

It almost sounds like a creaking floor board when someone walks over it. The duckling sounds nice and lively though. Is it eating yet?

COULD it be something it's walking on? or under the brooder? Silly question, I know, but I was driving once and kept hearing a rattling each time I accelerated. Pulled over and DH did that 'look under the hood pensively' thing but couldn't hear anything. And then I figured out what it was: the ice in the drink in the cup holder!

Weeeeeeeeird...

It almost sounds like a creaking floor board when someone walks over it. The duckling sounds nice and lively though. Is it eating yet?

COULD it be something it's walking on? or under the brooder? Silly question, I know, but I was driving once and kept hearing a rattling each time I accelerated. Pulled over and DH did that 'look under the hood pensively' thing but couldn't hear anything. And then I figured out what it was: the ice in the drink in the cup holder!
It isn't eating yet. It has been held since it hatched because it's being raised solo(it's not possible to get it a friend at this time, unfortunately), so it's definitely not something being walked on. It's napping right now and the sound is barely audible.
I also didn't include this in the original post, but it has some bald spots on it's neck. I don't know if that has anything to do with the sound, but it might be worth mentioning.
Update: It had some food and water, and I think the sound is more coming from the lungs rather than the heart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom