EmmaGRS

Songster
May 31, 2021
Hello, I hatched a duckling yesterday and it’s leg is like stuck to its side. It’s not stuck per se, but he’s unable to stretch it out. He is healthy and he’s moving fine, just can’t walk very well. I think it could be because he was inside the egg for too long or something similar. I had to help him hatch, (I’ve done this before and I’m able to tell when they need help and when they don’t) and he seemed fine. I just put him outside with my other ducklings (unfortunately they’re much bigger, but I’ll be checking on him often just in case) and he was okay. I just need suggestions on what I should do, I’m hoping it’ll stretch out with time but just in case it doesn’t I thought I’d take it here. Here’s an image.

Attachments

• 830FE5B9-01D9-49CD-8281-9DDBE4BBB92E.jpeg
    830FE5B9-01D9-49CD-8281-9DDBE4BBB92E.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 2D7456F6-C99F-466C-BFEA-34D48EA6641A.jpeg
    2D7456F6-C99F-466C-BFEA-34D48EA6641A.jpeg
    538.7 KB · Views: 18
Is the hock joint "frozen"? I've seen ducklings that have been unable to extend their legs after hatching because the joint is immobile, and suspect it was due to a deformity...which may also explain why your duckling was unable to hatch on its own.

Water therapy - always supervised, of course - and massage may help with range of motion. If the joint is fixed, though, neither may ultimately be effective.

If it's of interest, there are many threads on here about special needs poultry, including ducks. I have a visually-impaired drake who hatched that way, and he's a big, happy, smart guy who has survived predators when other (non-disabled) birds haven't.

Best wishes for your little one.

Is the hock joint "frozen"? I've seen ducklings that have been unable to extend their legs after hatching because the joint is immobile, and suspect it was due to a deformity...which may also explain why your duckling was unable to hatch on its own.

Water therapy - always supervised, of course - and massage may help with range of motion. If the joint is fixed, though, neither may ultimately be effective.

If it's of interest, there are many threads on here about special needs poultry, including ducks. I have a visually-impaired drake who hatched that way, and he's a big, happy, smart guy who has survived predators when other (non-disabled) birds haven't.

Best wishes for your little one.
How would I be able to tell if it is frozen? This would make a lot of sense, as it can move the top of its leg but the joint and down it cannot. I will do more research on this. I’m hoping it can be a happy healthy duck even with its leg like this, if it cannot be fixed. I will look more into that. Thank you!

If you gently try to move the leg, the joint should allow movement - if not, it may be fused or frozen. You'll find threads on BYC, like this one, that may be helpful.

ETA: this thread looks similar - check it out
I tried moving the joint and it didn’t budge. The duckling seems fine, but I’m going to keep an eye on it to make sure it’s eating and drinking. I looked at the thread, and the ducklings leg looked very similar to its leg. Im going to try to see if there’s anything that can treat it, and ill probably keep it away from the other ones for now. Thank you for helping!

Back
Top Bottom