Ducklings Not Leaving Nest

davemcc

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice please. We have 2 ducks who were sitting roughly 5 days between one starting then the other.

At the end they combined their nests and now are sitting together with 3 ducklings hatched one about 48 hours ago and the others roughly 24 hours ago. We put food and water in the house for them but they don't seem to have been touched. Both females have been out for brief breaks but the ducklings have always stayed with the other one. Is this okay, and will they start bringing them out soon or is having two mothers going to cause an issue?

I'm hoping they will manage to hatch the second clutch as well in a few days but I don't want the current ones to starve!

Thanks,
David

If you are worried it doesn't hurt to check often as long as mom(s) don't freak out to badly.

You have duck or chick starter near the nest right? Water in a chick waterer as well?
Yes, I have a small dish of water and a shallow container of food that I've been putting in the shed at night and just outside the door during the day.

And they're out! Looks like the food and water in the shed was used last night too. Both mums are out with them so we might not get any of the second clutch if they don't go back to sitting but 4 is enough to be going on with for our first time anyway I think.

Thanks for all the advice, and I'm sure we will be back for more soon enough!

Attachments

• IMG-20230515-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230515-WA0004.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 14
Make sure the ducklings can get in and out easy if they can't and get soaked because they only have down not oiled feathers they can drown

Such a sweet picture. :love
Thanks, yes we are keeping an eye on them (4 very excited kids and one excited wife). I'll make sure the pond is topped up but it should be okay as the closest end in the picture the water level comes right to the brim when full.

Back
Top Bottom