Ducklings not pipping externally (Please Help!! This is my first time incubating eggs)

Exactly what day are they on? They sound fine. I don't like safety holes because it allows the baby to get lazy and they don't have to externally pip. Almost always safety hole babies are late hatchers, and most of my safety hole babies quit since they were able to get lazy and just sit there and die. Then I quit doing them. They're totally unnecessary with birds like that, and you'll lose more due to safety holes than suffocating. Don't do safety holes for ducks unless they're Calls or have been internally pipped for 48+ hours with no progress. The 24 hour guideline is for chickens only. Just leave them alone for now. They'll be totally fine. Do not open the incubator. Let us know how it goes. I know it's hard, but sit on your hands. Ducks very rarely need help. They are incredibly slow yet strong hatchers. I bet they won't externally pip until tomorrow (It's 11:30 pm here) and they probably won't hatch until Wednesday. Unless it's already day 28.
It's 11:30 pm here and they are on day 26.It will be day 27 at midnight.

My incubator is a Janoel 12. I've been trying to keep the temp at 99.5 F throughout incubation. I have kept 4 hygrometers that I tested against our house thermostat and they were all accurate, however, all 4 give me different reading when I put them in the incubator. I have not noticed any yawning motions. The last time I checked them was earlier today when I made the holes. All of them just seemed to be tapping against the egg and I made the holes where they were tapping.
Also, there is one place I can put a hygrometer that the reading is always 2 degrees less than the temp where the eggs are. I use this one to adjust the temp so I feel pretty sure that they've been at a consistent temp. All show a similar humidity reading.

Ok. Did you salt test them though? You might want to try that and then see if they'll give closer readings. Can you post a pic of the eggs? If you have to open the incubator to get the pics, it's fine. Just try to hurry. I just want to see how the air hole looks. If you can see their beaks you'll probably notice yawning.
I haven't done a salt test. I didn't see any yawning but as soon as a opened the incubator I heard very loud tapping and chirping coming from all of them.

Attachments

• 20201027_090818.jpg
    20201027_090818.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201027_090729.jpg
    20201027_090729.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 6
Big Update!: One of them just completely hatched! Another one is getting close and the others are wiggling around a little. However, when it hatched the humidity spiked and is staying at 99%. Also, the duckling is moving around A LOT. Should I do something about the humidity or is it ok? Also, will the other eggs be ok with the duckling moving them around?

Also, what should I do if the ducklings aren't dry when they need to be taken out of the incubator? I don't have another incubator to put them in for drying.
Yay! Congrats! Open the lid quick and take out his shell. That's why the humidity is so high. It'll go down after that. Yup, he's fine to knock them around. Is your brooder heated up? I wait 3 or 4 hours after one hatches and then move him to the brooder to finish drying.

Yay! Congrats! Open the lid quick and take out his shell. That's why the humidity is so high. It'll go down after that. Yup, he's fine to knock them around. Is your brooder heated up? I wait 3 or 4 hours after one hatches and then move him to the brooder to finish drying.
I haven't heated my brooder up yet but I'll get that started. I thought they had to be left in the incubator longer. Also, a second one hatched over night!

I haven't heated my brooder up yet but I'll get that started. I thought they had to be left in the incubator longer. Also, a second one hatched over night!
Ok, yeah get it heated up. What is your heat source? (lamp, heating pad, brooder plate, etc.)
Nope. Some people say 24 hours, but it's not necessary. I do overnight max. Usually I remove them a couple hours after hatching though, once they start to dry a little.
That's great!!! :love

Back
Top Bottom