Ducklings on the way!!

I wouldn't keep up with the sugar water even hatcheries say when ducklings get to your home only offer sugar water when they first arrive.
just stick with save a chick and feed.
Yeah I stopped giving them sugar water a couple of days ago but I'll definitely stick with Sav-A-Chick.
I'll make another update next week when they get bigger!

I just realized something--
Pika walks a bit weird, as my mother described she looks like a chick (or a penguin), and I just realized she either has no neck or its just very short.

I'm so sorry, it's kinda hard to tell. I have to use my computer to take a picture since my phone broke and I haven't found the time to get a new one.
It's also easier to tell in person but here are some pictures (I took some of her and some of one of her siblings to compare)

And yes, their food has niacin in it and they have Sav-A-Chick too.

Here are the pictures of Pika:
Screenshot 2023-06-12 6.10.30 PM.png Screenshot 2023-06-12 6.10.38 PM.png Screenshot 2023-06-12 6.11.04 PM.png

And here are some pictures of Tokki to compare:
Screenshot 2023-06-12 6.11.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-12 6.11.16 PM.png

They are adorable. I can’t see what you’re talking about but I wonder since these are Calls if pika is just going to be tinier that the others. But I will say if me I’d start her on liquid b complex just because some need more niacin. It can be given to all but I’d def get Pika on it you can put it over a tiny bit of mealworms or feed just for her. Putting it in the water would be fine for the others if they are walking normal. But for Pika she should have hers straight. Can you get a video of her walking? I’m going to tag @WVduckchick since she has Calls

They are adorable. I can’t see what you’re talking about but I wonder since these are Calls if pika is just going to be tinier that the others. But I will say if me I’d start her on liquid b complex just because some need more niacin. It can be given to all but I’d def get Pika on it you can put it over a tiny bit of mealworms or feed just for her. Putting it in the water would be fine for the others if they are walking normal. But for Pika she should have hers straight. Can you get a video of her walking? I’m going to tag @WVduckchick since she has Calls
I can't get a video today but I can tomorrow.
When she lifts her head (like Tokki is doing in the pictures I posted) it looks like she has no neck or its just very short, like a baby chick or a penguin. She walks fine, she just looks like a baby chick/penguin.
You can definitely tell she looks different from the others, but I'm sure a video will help show it better so I'll film tomorrow when I can.

Short necks are common in Calls, the shorter necks are more desirable by show breeders. I’ve also found in my own flock, the females necks seem to look shorter as ducklings. I’m not sure if that’s common overall, but it seem to be in my flock.
But… the short necks also are one thing that contributes to difficulty in hatching. It can make it difficult for them to turn and zip inside the shell.

Short necks are common in Calls, the shorter necks are more desirable by show breeders. I’ve also found in my own flock, the females necks seem to look shorter as ducklings. I’m not sure if that’s common overall, but it seem to be in my flock.
But… the short necks also are one thing that contributes to difficulty in hatching. It can make it difficult for them to turn and zip inside the shell.
Oh wow, I actually didn't know that! Pika is the only one I had to assist and shes the one with the shorter neck too.

Hi!
I've decided to do another update! I dont have any pictures currently but they have definitely gotten bigger! Pika is still a little small but I can definitely tell shes grown.
They all enjoy diving underwater and very much enjoy escaping their brooder!

Back
Top Bottom