Ducklings with adults

Jackanddianesmom

Songster
Dec 3, 2019
North jersey, USA
hi me again with ANOTHER question, I have my adult, female separated from the male (they can see eachother). I was planning on slowly introducing the ducklings, to the female, at what age would that be appropriate? And then to introdroduce to the male at what age? He is not aggressive but grabs for the eye when mating so he can cause harm... i was planning on the end of August to introduce him to the ducklings. They are about 2 months old now.

Also after losing one of the 3 ducklings the other 2 seem to not be eating as much (maybe I was just used to our other one eating everything always, and she's not there to do that anymore) I have a started weighing and plan on weighing them to track their weight. But is that normal? They act normal otherwise and drink a ton of water, maybe it just seems like they aren't eating as much because there's one less. I also just bought new food for them, purina flock raiser crumbles (our tractor supply never has purina pellets) and I want to give them treats but our tractor supply has also been out of chick grit since we've had them. Is there anything I can substitute for grit?

I would say if they are 2 months old they are probably outside a lot digging around in the dirt right? If so I wouldn't worry about getting grit. They are probably getting enough with what they are foraging up each day. Once my babies go outside to the duck pen and run at about 4 weeks old they don't get any grit.

As for introducing your ducklings to you female you should set up a way to meet and greet so she can’t pick on them. Then again she may take to them right away but most likely she won’t. As for your drake have them live right next to him so he gets to meet them and he maybe ready to meet them in Aug it might take longer that is something you’ll just have to try for.

As for introducing your ducklings to you female you should set up a way to meet and greet so she can’t pick on them. Then again she may take to them right away but most likely she won’t. As for your drake have them live right next to him so he gets to meet them and he maybe ready to meet them in Aug it might take longer that is something you’ll just have to try for.
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom