Ducklings with Chicks?

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
Has anybody raised chicks in the same brooder with ducklings before? Are there pros/cons? Or should this be avoided altogether?

Just thought I'd ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done it with either more chicks or equal numbers of chicks and ducklings and never more than 4 ducklings at a time. The ducks are messier but they will be messy whether you have chicks with them or not. You're going to have to keep up on litter changes either way. As long as they are the same age, there really shouldn't be any problem.

I've even raised one lone duckling with about 20 BW quail. None of it's siblings hatched and I couldn't raise it alone. It actually worked out really well when I moved them to an outside pen. The duckling kept the quail warmer than they would've been without one in there.

Hm, seems like it's be more work than it's worth to house them in a single brooder.

I'm getting Khaki Campbells, by the way.
big_smile.png

I'm doing it right now with 1 duckling and 12 chicks (more chicks hatching today!
celebrate.gif
) I just moved the largest chicks to a 'big boy brooder' and the duck will stay with them.....mucking the whole place up....till I can hatch him a friend. At that point they'll get their own brooder. Ducks are VERY messy. I recommend something with a rubber/plastic or coated bottom.

I had a single turkey in with ducklings and I ended up having to take him out after only an hour. The ducks had nibbled at the turkey so much, that the turkey was SOAKING WET. It was chilly weather and the turkey had to be taken back in the house to get warmed again. Ducks are crazy!
tongue.png

I have 5 day old chicks. 1 late chick hatched 3 days later & had to be separated for a day because the biggest chick kept pecking her. Now they’re together but then a duck hatched early. After a day in an adjoining brooder I let him join the chicks. That lasted less than 30 minutes & 3 vicious attacks by a jersey giant chick. (Think I got a rooster). Now after another day, the lone duckling is about to be joined by his egg mates. How long should I wait to place the new ducklings in with lone duckling?TIA

Back
Top Bottom