Ducklings with momma

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
I have a momma duck who has 2 babes. They’re in a pen, inside the coop, that she can go in and out of but they cannot. They’re around 2-3 weeks old. She’s been spending more and more time away from them. It’s not particularly warm here yet. 40-60F. I noticed last night she didn’t sleep with them but perched up with the other adults. And I noticed today she started laying eggs again. Do you guys think she’s done with the babies? She’s a first time mom and did amazing the first couple weeks. Should I take them and bring them inside under a warmer?

How do the ducklings act? Ducklings handle temperatures better than chicks do and often don't need any extra heat after a few weeks. Are these muscovy? You said the mom perches. Can you release the ducklings so they can follow the hen?

It can be normal for hens to wean ducklings early.

How do the ducklings act? Ducklings handle temperatures better than chicks do and often don't need any extra heat after a few weeks. Are these muscovy? You said the mom perches. Can you release the ducklings so they can follow the hen?

It can be normal for hens to wean ducklings early.
They are Muscovy. They act ok. Cry a lot when mom leaves. Huddle together most of the time. But they’re eating and drinking. We have a rooster, geese, cats, and dogs that I would be afraid would hurt the babies sense they’re still so small. They have no feathers or starts to feathers. Just fluff.

You could pull them and brood them a bit longer, or if it's safe enough give them a heat lamp hung on one side of their pen and see if they go sit under it.

It's pretty normal for a muscovy hen to leave her kids somewhere while she goes out to forage. I think by 3-4 weeks the mom can't cover them to provide extra heat anyways. Than the ducklings pile together for heat and warming up. If they seem fine I might just leave them be.

Perhaps @Miss Lydia can offer some advice as well.

Back
Top Bottom