Ducklings

Can you pair two male ducks together? Would they be Okay with 5 chickens?
Yes indeed they would be fine. :D

A couple things to consider...
  • Each bird is going to have their own personality that might clash in general. You shouldn't have problems housing multiple drakes together, but there are still butthead birds that can cause problems.
  • If later on you decide to add female ducks, you might have issues. Raising multiple males without females is fine, but when a female enters, their hormones WILL take over. If that happens, you'll need to consider rehoming 1 boy or buying enough females to please them both. (Buy enough females if/when that happens, it's worth it :) )
We have both ducks and chicks, in both sexes. I've not ran a bachelor pad, but I do house plenty of ducks. Drakes in general are way easier to deal with than roosters when they are being brats. Plus male ducks are pretty darn quiet compared to the females loud honk.

I think @WannaBeHillBilly runs a bachelor pad, but I'm not sure. I know they've got females too... I might be confused. They do have and love ducks though, so maybe they can chime in in general. :)

Yes indeed they would be fine. :D

A couple things to consider...
  • Each bird is going to have their own personality that might clash in general. You shouldn't have problems housing multiple drakes together, but there are still butthead birds that can cause problems.
  • If later on you decide to add female ducks, you might have issues. Raising multiple males without females is fine, but when a female enters, their hormones WILL take over. If that happens, you'll need to consider rehoming 1 boy or buying enough females to please them both. (Buy enough females if/when that happens, it's worth it :) )
We have both ducks and chicks, in both sexes. I've not ran a bachelor pad, but I do house plenty of ducks. Drakes in general are way easier to deal with than roosters when they are being brats. Plus male ducks are pretty darn quiet compared to the females loud honk.

I think @WannaBeHillBilly runs a bachelor pad, but I'm not sure. I know they've got females too... I might be confused. They do have and love ducks though, so maybe they can chime in in general. :)
I'd love to be able to separate the drakes from the girls, at the moment the drakes are just nasty to everybody, except me (I know how to operate the garden hose… :yesss: )
As far as i remember either @thumper650 or @Jpat has/had a drake flock.

@Scottie_theduck drakes together with chickens? Not a particular good idea, drakes have a male mating organ, roosters don't, so the chickens are not equipped to be penetrated and may suffer lethal injuries from the drakes when the hormones rage…

I had 2 pekin drakes who wanted to murder each other the first year I had them. They were 2 yeas old.
The second year I added 2 runner drakes in the fall. Everybody was good.
In the spring, the went into pairs. team runner vs team pekin. If they can see each other they don't fight, when I lock them in their houses at night, and can't see the other team, they would fight.

One thing i've learned is ducks all have their individual personalities. You have to experiment to figure out what works.

Back
Top Bottom