Ducklings

jenko_ooo71777

Hatching
Feb 24, 2021
Hi everyone i’m new here and not quite sure how to work this but i’m seeking some help a day ago my duckling has started not to walk and is weak and sleeps all the time he was fine running around with his mate and i’ve gone down and he doesn’t want to move i’m concentrated he might have niacin deficiency but he kept opening and closing his mouth not like puffing just like trying to get air but he’s still here and not doing it anymore i was concerned he couldn’t breathe so i was hesitant to try give him water but i’ve been trying to give him foods to boost him but he doesn’t want to eat he pecks at it but doesn’t eat it and i’ve been researching what to give him for niacin deficiency in liquid but and i have but i don’t want to hurt him if he’s neck is something wrong with it but he can move it sometime he gets it stuck and doesn’t put it back up but he can sit well and he sleeps a lot. Thank you

The duckling needs access to water at all times. They require water to swallow and can choke. You can drip electrolyte water, Gatorade or Pedialyte on the bill. If the duckling will drink on its own, that is the best thing.

Does the duckling also shake it's head at all?

@Isaac 0 knows a lot about ducks and may know more about what is happening.

The duckling needs access to water at all times. They require water to swallow and can choke. You can drip electrolyte water, Gatorade or Pedialyte on the bill. If the duckling will drink on its own, that is the best thing.

Does the duckling also shake it's head at all?

@Isaac 0 knows a lot about ducks and may know more about what is happening.
he won’t drink on his own yes he shakes his head sometimes but mostly after water

It sounds like he may have something stuck in his throat or trachea. If you gently rub their throat and chest, you may be able to encourage the duckling to dislodge what it has stuck.

It sounds like he may have something stuck in his throat or trachea. If you gently rub their throat and chest, you may be able to encourage the duckling to dislodge what it has stuck.
image.jpg
this is also happening to his neck i can’t tel if it’s cuz he is laying to much and he’s neck is wet from heat he had a fan on him tho

but he also doesn’t have any strength and won’t drink or eat and just sleeps a lot i’ve tried giving him liquids but i don’t want to force him to much in case it is hurting him i pick him up he can still move his legs around but can’t stand on his own

this is also his second day like this and not much change

If they get something stuck, they won't eat or drink after a while. They get tried and worn out from trying to remove it. They require a lot of nutrients at that age and go downhill quickly without it. The most you can do at this point is drip electrolytes/vitamin water on the beak. You could try mashed up scrambled eggs and see if it will eat them.

One my duklings had this issue just a week ago. She was unable to dislodge it and passed away after a couple of days. Unfortunately ducklings are very fragile, and there is not a lot you can do for them at that age. I am sorry. I wish I could offer more helpful advice. I know how hard it is to watch them suffer and be unable to help.

If they get something stuck, they won't eat or drink after a while. They get tried and worn out from trying to remove it. They require a lot of nutrients at that age and go downhill quickly without it. The most you can do at this point is drip electrolytes/vitamin water on the beak. You could try mashed up scrambled eggs and see if it will eat them.

One my duklings had this issue just a week ago. She was unable to dislodge it and passed away after a couple of days. Unfortunately ducklings are very fragile, and there is not a lot you can do for them at that age. I am sorry. I wish I could offer more helpful advice. I know how hard it is to watch them suffer and be unable to help.
okay i will try that i’ve been giving him electrolytes he’s very weak but i will try that and continue to help him n continue what im doing. sorry about your duckling thank you for your help tho :))

Back
Top Bottom